Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for Shallot seedlings to "fall over" ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have read the 'onions from seed thread' you will know I had a go last year, having only ever having use onion sets before.

During the season I also supported a few onion set and shallot plants. This may have been a coincidence but the difference between supported and unsupported was such that from now on all my onions etc will be supported.

I'll leave you to guess which is the supported shallot.

Potty
    Attached Files
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

One of my onion tanks this year. As you can see I am hopeing for great things

Potty
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Potstubsdustbins; 13-04-2014, 03:37 PM.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
        Do you folk actually use wire-hoops to support onions "in the field" then?

I thought that was just for the show growers, raising Onions in pots.

Reminds me of the time I grew individual Carrots in pots. Only did that the once though!
        I only stake the onions I grow for showing but although these are grown initially in pots, they are eventually moved in to the ground albeit in the polytunnel where because of the higher temperatures and the shelter from prevailingwinds, they grow larger. After many years of growing onions for the showbench, I am convinced they grow better if they are kept upright and they also have better form. If they flop over, they seem to think the time for growing is past.

If wondering about form, think of any wine bottle except J P Chenet. The shoulders of the onion are symmetrical from all angles. That, apart from basic shape, i.e. perfectly round is what is looked for.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
          One of my onion tanks this year. As you can see I am hopeing for great things

Potty
          Thas my boy

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            I am convinced they grow better if they are kept upright and they also have better form. If they flop over, they seem to think the time for growing is past.
            Makes sense, thanks. Even-more-faff than I currently do ... I'll do some-and-some this year and see how I get on.

Do they need hoops? or might they be ok with a stick and a tie (which will be a bit tighter than a hoop, but I'll give them room to expand). I have a tying gun which is nice and quick.

Tapener Guns : MAX TAPENER, MAX Tapener TapeTool Tape Staples Parts Plant Vine Tying Tools Supplies
            Last edited by Kristen; 13-04-2014, 04:21 PM.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Hmmmm I may try some wire support rings when they're planted out.......
              Hussar!

Comment

I'm flattered my liitle loops ™are remembered
                Gotta be one of the great alltime tips AP
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

#33 Reading your post AP I am wondering if that's why my supported onions did so much better.

They are all grown outside and take a battering from the wind which will lay the leaf structure down.

One thing I will know for sure by the end of this season.

Potty

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                    Makes sense, thanks. Even-more-faff than I currently do ... I'll do some-and-some this year and see how I get on.

Do they need hoops? or might they be ok with a stick and a tie (which will be a bit tighter than a hoop, but I'll give them room to expand). I have a tying gun which is nice and quick.

Tapener Guns : MAX TAPENER, MAX Tapener TapeTool Tape Staples Parts Plant Vine Tying Tools Supplies
                    Being staked is what seems to be important, not the kind of stake that is used. I personally prefer using split canes and soft twine but the wire loops are quicker. As they grow, I do switch to split canes and plastic clips but again that is for convenience.

Love your tying gun

Comment

Love your tying gun
                      'Spensive

Brilliant to use - can tie one-handed whist holding plant / cane with the other.

There are some YouTube videos of a guy typing vines to wires, which show how quick it it. When I have to do the next-level-up of tying 100 [cordon] Sweetpea plants to their canes it takes all of 5 minutes
                      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Following advice from this thread, I've bought some wire today to make little hoop supports for my shallots from seed. Now I just need to make 40 little 'uns and 40 mediums!
                        Hussar!

Comment

Update: the Zebrune Shallots third leaf is growing strongly and is much more vertical thanks, I think, to the supports, they look much "happier" so I'm happy too
                          My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by RaptorUK View Post
                            Update: the Zebrune Shallots third leaf is growing strongly and is much more vertical thanks, I think, to the supports, they look much "happier" so I'm happy too
                            Yeah I've just made a load and mine look far happier.
                            Hussar!

Comment

Qick up date on Shallots fropm seed. So after making some little support loops, I can only say I'll be supporting mine in future. The difference is amazing, the speed of growth ahs really picked up. Another poster considered if the plant thinks it's dying if it flops over, and I can only agree with this. When held upright they're far more vigorous. I've made bigger ones now for when I plant out in a week or two.
                              Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
                                Qick up date on Shallots fropm seed. So after making some little support loops, I can only say I'll be supporting mine in future.
                                Me too, I think they have helped a lot. I have planted mine out and have used the loops when planted out too . . . I will be removing them in a week or so when they have had a chance to get established.

It's been quite windy since I planted them out and the loops have helped withstand the wind a little too.

It's only been my Shallots that needed the loops, my White Spanish Onions and Leeks - Toledo have been fine on their own.
                                My allotment in pictures

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X