Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it normal for Shallot seedlings to "fall over" ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
    In that case probably ought to start hardening off - out during the day, back in at night time

Personally I would leave well alone if they are JI Seed. It should be sandy enough. I expect you have been feeding them, for them to be that green. There won't be much/any feed in Seed Compost.

I sow mine in a seed tray (in JI Seed Compost), and when I prick out to modules they get MPC with 10% Perlite mixed in.

But that's not a recommendation, per se, just the way I do it. Loads of options, and whatever works well for you is a good thing to stick with
    This is my first year with an Allotment so most of what I am growing is new for me so I'm happy to learn and get recommendations and suggestions. I always try to keep an open mind and like to think I can learn something from most people

Thank you.
    My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      They look absolutely fine to me as well and that includes the colour. They are supposed to be vibrant green. Just as an aside, I always water my onions and leeks from the top.

As another aside, imho, these plants would have benefited from being potted on into a stronger mix. I use half in half general purpose compost and John innes3 (with some vermic added to keep the compost open) and also a scattering of slow release fertiliser granules.

Frequent potting on also helps stop the compost compacting which is one of the main reasons for algae growth on the surface
      I didn't know about the compaction issue and algae, I've wondered about that before, I guess I am a little heavy handed when filling the cells watering from the top may also exacerbate the issue I guess.

I was trying to avoid potting on where I can, with everything that is growing at the moment in the greenhouse I'm a little pushed for space, I did pot on some Purple Asparagus today and have Tomato seedlings that will need potting on soon too . . . I guess it's going to be musical staging for a while

I did feed a very weak Phostrogen mix once or twice . . .
      My allotment in pictures

Comment

What you need are some AP allium support loops ...

Taken from .. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eed_69067.html .. a long thread but a worthwhile read,loads of info & tips
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post

Taken from .. http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eed_69067.html .. a long thread but a worthwhile read,loads of info & tips
          I'm flattered my liitle loops ™are remembered

Comment

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
            Yep if I can find some suitable wire I'll be making approx 100 of these today
            My allotment in pictures

Comment

Ordinary plastic covered tying wire is what these loops are made of. Although they do work well, some of them have the infuriating habit of turning and the plant then grows away from the straight. To counter, cut another piece of wire and wind that on as a second leg which removes that problem. Bit fiddly but worth the effort and of course they can be re-used.

As a guide for size of loop, I wind the wire round my thumb but the neck of a wine bottle is ideal especially if it's a nice red and the bottle needs emptying before use

Comment

Originally posted by RaptorUK View Post
                I didn't know about the compaction issue and algae, I've wondered about that before, I guess I am a little heavy handed when filling the cells watering from the top may also exacerbate the issue I guess.
                Its the watering (and the mix) and not your techique

Compost compacts over time, through watering I suppose. plants that grow really quickly, like Tomatoes, hardy notice IME whereas slower growing things, like Chillies and perhaps Onions, are more effected. Yours will be fine, a lot has to do with how much "Faff" you are prepared to go to. I want a guaranteed crop which I can more or less abandon after planting but am prepared to put in a lot of time, around now, during raising of the plants.

I was trying to avoid potting on where I can ...
                I think the Boys are talking about prize winning onions ... mine go straight out from small (1"-sh square) modules.

If you are going to do that make sure you straighten out the roots when you plant them, and get the roots vertical. They will be all coiled up in the modules.

I did feed a very weak Phostrogen mix once or twice . . .
                They look like they have been well fed Spot-on I reckon.
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by RaptorUK View Post
                  Yep if I can find some suitable wire I'll be making approx 100 of these today
                  Got some "all purpose garden wire" from Wilkos and my stainless steel apple corer handle is a good size . . .
                  My allotment in pictures

Comment

They look fine, mine are the same. I'm doing banana shallots from seed ala Dan of Allotment Diary fame....
                    Last edited by Richard Eldritch; 12-04-2014, 05:15 PM.
                    Hussar!

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
                      They look fine, mine are the same. I'm doing banana shallots from seed ala Dan of Allotment Diary fame....
                      I'd rather they were nice and straight just like my Spanish Sweet White onions . . so I am going to help them

Cut Wire and Apple Corer

One down 99 to go . . .
                      My allotment in pictures

Comment

I've found once they have a third leaf they start to stand up abit and by the time they have a fourth they're upright. I wouldn't fuss. I plant mine out in may 4 inches apart and then they look after themselves.
                        Hussar!

Comment

Do you folk actually use wire-hoops to support onions "in the field" then?

I thought that was just for the show growers, raising Onions in pots.

Reminds me of the time I grew individual Carrots in pots. Only did that the once though!
                          K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Eldritch View Post
                            I've found once they have a third leaf they start to stand up abit and by the time they have a fourth they're upright. I wouldn't fuss. I plant mine out in may 4 inches apart and then they look after themselves.
                            Thats good to know
                            My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                              Do you folk actually use wire-hoops to support onions "in the field" then?
                              I'm happy to do most things to get a good crop from my babies next year when I'm a season Allotmenteer things might be different
                              My allotment in pictures

Comment

Just gave mine a little feed (Half dose of miracle grow), as they're spending along time in modules untill planting in May.
                                Hussar!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X