Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to check out your blog now I've get to Lottie plots now and am planning on doing fruit at home in containers and a few more perennials on one of the plots finding it easy to be almost self sufficient on veg but a lot harder in fruit

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

• over thelast few days -
      various toms(all have germinated) i've gone and done it again - now wheream I going to put them all?!!
      vampire chillis
      basil
      kale
      leeks
      chard
      sprouting broccoli
      peas
      sweet peas

making use of the great big light bank we have at work - working in the science department does have some advantages!

Comment

• I've sowed some Long Red Florence onions, 4 seed per module, plus some sweetpeas.
        The onions for the window ledge til they're up the sweetpeas into the greenhouse - just before it started persisting down again!

Comment

• I've finally made a start today :-

sweet peas
          broad beans
          leeks
          lettuce
          carrots in a bucket in GH
          a pinch of spring onions
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• The sun came out today, so I took the dill, chives, flat leaf parsley, lettuce, and sweet pea seedlings off the windowsill and put them outside under a cloche. They've got to learn to be little Spartans, and I need the space to start some more seeds, including some flower seeds, at the weekend.

Then, of course, we had a hailstorm
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

• Beware the strong winds tomorrow MH.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                Beware the strong winds tomorrow MH.
                That's taken care of, BM. I've pinned the cloche (it's a 3 ft long plastic one) down with 3 heavy filled tubs. (The other day I came home and it was upside down the other end of the garden )
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

• Woohoo! My Queendsland Arrowroot has now sprouted too.
                  I thought that one was going to be a bit of a pain to get started

Comment

• Today I sowed Cabbage - Filderkraut...........so glad I only sowed 20 as they grow to 10lb....................anyone like coleslaw?................
                    Last edited by Bigmallly; 14-02-2014, 05:02 PM.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Originally posted by AllInContainers View Post
                      The scores so far ..

4/6 of the dahlias I'm growing for yams have hatched and will need pricking out soon.
                      6/6 of the golden huckleberries have started. Too early for transfer though
                      0/6 of black huckleberries
                      0/6 Queensland Arrowroot
                      0/6 Inca Berries
                      3/10 black strawbs
                      0/10 blue strawbs
                      0/10 yellow strawbs
                      3/10 giant red strawbs
                      0/72 wild white alpine strawbs
                      Can you use any Dahlia seeds for yams? I seem to do well with dahlias.

Comment

This year I'm moving more into fruit, perennials, and foods I've never tasted before. I can buy carrots cheap enough in a shop, and I know what they taste like. Medlar, Jostaberry, Daylillies, Asparagus Peas, and Hyacinth Beans are a different story
                        I like to get a good return on my efforts, know that I'm half way there to liking it as well as growing something different! vegetables like toms, spuds, cauli you will find in the supermarket everyday but it's the variety that make the difference - black icicle toms, cosse violette beans and salad blues would be difficult to find in the supermarket. Carrots grown at home are worlds apart from the carrot in the shop.

Comment

• My seeds so far..a little later than usual
                          Red habanero
                          Lemon drop chilli
                          Bulgarian carrot chilli

Comment

• Originally posted by marcofez View Post
                            Can you use any Dahlia seeds for yams? I seem to do well with dahlias.
                            I don't know if it's only certain varieties that are worth growing for yams. These are the James Wong/Sutton Seeds jobbies, and his book says it's the catus dahlias that are the biz, but not sure if that's all or just some of 'em.

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I like to get a good return on my efforts, know that I'm half way there to liking it as well as growing something different! vegetables like toms, spuds, cauli you will find in the supermarket everyday but it's the variety that make the difference - black icicle toms, cosse violette beans and salad blues would be difficult to find in the supermarket. Carrots grown at home are worlds apart from the carrot in the shop.
                            I know what you mean. I had a ball last year growing all sorts of everything, but most of it was "normal-ish". I enjoyed it, but time was against me at a couple of vital times in the season, so I decided to go lower maintenance and focus on new and unknown for all new introductions to the garden. My first batch of carrots was lovely, and my toms, strawbs, snips and corn were great too. For me right now, food is actually kind of a by product to the whole learning and enjoyment rather than primary objective. Once the novely has worn off I might get a little more "serious" about growing food, but realistically my garden isn't the best for serious food provision. I'd rather just enjoy the experience for now, learn what I can, and settle for having a few delicious treats which are either unavailable in the shops, or comparatively costly to buy

Comment

I don't know if it's only certain varieties that are worth growing for yams. These are the James Wong/Sutton Seeds jobbies, and his book says it's the catus dahlias that are the biz, but not sure if that's all or just some or just some of 'em
                              Thanks for that. I'll have to investigate!

Comment

• Have just sown 4 Beetroot seeds in DIY tape as an experiment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X