No announcement yet.

The best salad!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always have to have my home made coleslaw plus added grated carrot.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

After much thought,no salad is complete without some type of ... Onion
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

My favourite are spring onions, they can be mixed in with the salad or as a side to dip in salad cream or my favourite salt.

Comment

New potatoes turn any salad into a filling meal on it's own or a side dish of potato salad to accompany another meal, mmm drooling already.
          Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

- Pea shoots - sweet and tasty
            - Sorrel - zesty
            - Radish leaves - peppery
            - Rocket - also peppery
            - Lambs Lettuce - sweet
            - Watercress - peppery and THE BEST
            - Dill - cucumbery, is than even a word
            - Turkish Rocket - mildest rocket, more like a brassica leaf
            - Beetroot leaves - taste like Beetroot
            - Mint - adds real pep
            - Basil - sweet and large leaf
            - Flat Leaf Parsley - tangy
            All leaves I use but none taste good enough without tomatoes. Without them a salad isn't a salad.
            Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 28-05-2013, 09:37 PM.
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Moopmoop View Post
              New potatoes turn any salad into a filling meal on it's own or a side dish of potato salad to accompany another meal, mmm drooling already.
              Definitely! Hot new pots drenched in butter with a crunchy salad and a thick slice of ham. Got to be some spring onions too though.
              Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

All great choices and making me very hungry - particularly for potato salad! What is the most unusual crop you use in your salads?

Laura
                Keep up to date with GYO's breaking news on twitter and facebook!

Twitter: @GYOmag
                Facebook: facebook.com/growyourownmag

Comment

I add Viola & nasturtium flowers,because they look pretty
                  He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Hillier View Post
                    All great choices and making me very hungry - particularly for potato salad! What is the most unusual crop you use in your salads?

Laura
                    I like borage flowers - cucumber like taste.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                      I like borage flowers - cucumber like taste.
                      Didn't know that VVG, thanks. I have some frozen individually in ice cubes to add to drinks which are very, very pretty, so I'll try the flowers in salad as well. I do have a great abundance of borage this year and that's all down to you
                      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

See, although I know Borage are edible, the looks of the flowers just look poisonous to me. Like nightshade and family.

My favourite thing to add to salads are Edamame beans. I'd enjoy them on their own, but the fact that you coat them in salt makes them quite unhealthy. It's better to mix them in with a salad.
                        Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Home made saurkraut with apple and chilli. Mmmmm.
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                          If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Hillier View Post

Laura
                            I add the young shoots of common daylilies (hemerocallis fulva) to my salads in spring and the flowers later in the year. The shoots are crunchy and taste like a cross between lettuce and peas. For extra good measure, you can eat the tubers in autumn so its a really good value for money plant.
                            I've been eating them for so long I don't think of them as "unusual"!!

Comment

last year my homegrown watercress was really nice, my daughter didnt agree her comment was always "not trees again!!", but I loved it, this year baby chard is a close runner to it tho... hmmm fancy a salad now
                              If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero

my memories of my garden http://lisamcflisagarden.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Homemade coleslaw with grated apple. Lovely. I've heard that Kohlrabi is nice grated in coleslaw too, although I've yet to try it I intend to this year.
                                Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X