No announcement yet.

The best salad!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm growing cucamelons this year (along with probably a million other people) and I'm hoping they'll be nice in a salad, but I can't vouch for them yet as my seedlings are less than 2cm high so far!
    Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Originally posted by Likac66 View Post
      I'm growing cucamelons this year (along with probably a million other people) and I'm hoping they'll be nice in a salad, but I can't vouch for them yet as my seedlings are less than 2cm high so far!
      Make that one million and one
      Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

My favourite thing in a salad is iceberg lettuce...

Shock, horror!, I know, but I don't mean the watery, tasteless supermarket ones, I mean these:

Red Iceberg, seeds from The Real Seed Co., they aren't just lovely to look at! I make those the basis of most salads as soon as they start cropping, adding whatever other leaves are ready at the time such as rocket, watercress, baby kales etc., and the iceberg keeps the balance on the sweetish/crunchy side where I like it
        Attached Files

Comment

Something slightly different I have is purple mange tout (shiraz variety) - same crunch and flavour as the usual but with a lovely splash of colour.
          Likac66

Living in her own purple world

Loving gardening, reading, knitting and crochet.

Comment

Almost anything homegrown! But fresh coriander leaves always lift a green salad and lightly steamed french beans, eaten still warm, with vinaigrette dressing. OMG I'm salivating just writing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by susieq100 View Post
              Almost anything homegrown! But fresh coriander leaves always lift a green salad
              I'll second that. For unusual I add flowering runners of ivy-leaved toadflax.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Radish Cold, they give salad a good crunch, colour and flavour, throw in the leaves as well for a peppery kick. Hot, fried in butter and salt, they make a lovely addition to a hot salad of courgettes and asparagus.
                It also helps that they are the easiest and quickest veg to grow.

Comment

There was this man who wrote in Permaculture magazine about extreme salads, I forgot his name. He described having salads with hundreds of different plants in them. I haven't gotten that extreme (yet), but I do find that I measure the progress of the season by how many ingredients my salads have. Only when I get to 30 do I consider that summer has properly started. As in most things, if in doubt, add diversity.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura Hillier View Post
                    What is the one thing (leaf or otherwise) you could not do without in your favourite salad?
                    Nasturtium (leaves & flowers). They give a lovely peppery kick to a sandwich too
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

A plain old boiled egg is essential in a good salad.

I love beetroot too.

I have to confess to being one of those weirdos that loves salads but hates lettuce...

Also, as KCN is a veggie, salad is a great excuse to have some sort of meat or fish in my meal.
                      Quanti canicula ille in fenestra ?

Comment

a fresh salad that has tomatoes and basil plus all the extras ..... but you have to add some good feta cheese, a few large green olives and a few anchovies ....

once assembled, add a tablespoon of crushed dried oregano, a bit of fresh ground black pepper and a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

eat a bowl of that with some crusty fresh bread and an ice cold beer, and you have a good meal

Comment

Originally posted by out in the cold View Post
                          A plain old boiled egg is essential in a good salad.

I love beetroot too.

I have to confess to being one of those weirdos that loves salads but hates lettuce...

Also, as KCN is a veggie, salad is a great excuse to have some sort of meat or fish in my meal.
                          Is KCN similar to PSB ?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Is KCN similar to PSB ?

Nah,it's one of those GM hybrids where all parts are edible leaves,root & flowers/seeds ............

Leaves .............. Kale

Root ................. Carrot

Flowers/Seeds .... Nasturtium

* rushes off to hide behind a wall wearing t' tin 'at >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I really like the veggie salad with fresh vegetables, i am searching for some new recipe for this, here i didn't find anything yet can you guys please suggest me one of your best veggie salad recipe?

Comment

here's a cheap one that tastes good:

chop a cabbage finely ....

chop an onion finely

place in a bowl...

for the dressing (make this first at least 1/2 hr before chopping the cabbage):

in a tea/coffee cup, add 1/3 extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 fresh lemon juice, and 1/3 modena vinegar

add a bayleaf ..... add fresh ground black pepper, salt, and a teaspoon on Dijon mustard, and a heaped tablespoon of dried oregano (crush the dried oregano in the palm of your hand before adding)

mix well, and let the dressing infuse in the cup for at least 30 minutes before adding the whole lot to the cabbage and onion

stir the cabbage well, and cover with clingfilm ..... dont refrigerate and leave it on the kitchen counter for 1/2 a day, stirring occasionaly

after a few hrs, the cabbage will become soft, as it marinates/cooks in the salad dressing .... then serve

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X