No announcement yet.

hows everyones chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the weather has been so grim I only planted my chilli seeds a couple of days ago! I fear I might have left it a bit late, but it may be that the extra sun now (fingers crossed, rain forecast later) might help them to catch up. We'll see...

Comment

Oh, and not one of my overwintered chillies survived this year

Comment

I think I have some chilli plants but I am not sure, I go the seeds last year, I had some pepper and some chilli, but only the pepper ever grew, so I am not sure what I have this year as I didn't label things properly.

I think they are similar plants, I thought mine were growing chillies last at first but they turned out to be sweet pepper, so I guess it will be a long time before I know what I have as I can't tell from picture of the plants.

The best one is outside in the weather, hope the cold does not kill it. It will be down to 5C tonight.
        Last edited by esbo; 10-05-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Mine are still invading my strawberry raised bed as my daughter 'played with' the darn chilli thingies.... Damn things are popping up everywhere. If anyone wants a clump of 200+ chillis, PM me :|

Comment

Mine have been nicely potted on, just waiting for the Thai Culinary Chilli to hurry up, these have taken forever to germinate and grow.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sandspider View Post
              As the weather has been so grim I only planted my chilli seeds a couple of days ago! I fear I might have left it a bit late, but it may be that the extra sun now (fingers crossed, rain forecast later) might help them to catch up. We'll see...
              Same as you. Never grown chillies before but only sowed them last week. I'm in Edinburgh though so could be perfect time haha.

Makes me question myself though when I see everyone else's plants on this thread and there saying its not grown enough haha

Comment

I was going to put some more in next week so if anyone has any advice on whether its too late (I would envisage with weather I might still be ok), that would be appreciated.

Comment

I would give cayennes a go, they are quick to fruit. As for super hots you could start a couple now for over wintering.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    I would give cayennes a go, they are quick to fruit. As for super hots you could start a couple now for over wintering.
                    I've got cayennes and two hot ones. Forget the mana but I think ones devils chilli our something.

Anyway what do you man by over winter/wintering, always just thought Chillies were annuals. What a so I need to do to keep them alive over winter (assuming that's what you mean) for next year? Hopefully having down them all lay week they aren't a waste after all!

Comment

Overwintering Chillie Plants | The Chilli King

Comment

Ahh thanks, this is the first time trying to grow chillies but my friend at work as been doing so for many years and he didn't even know it was possible!

Think he's a bit gutted as one of his plants last year he said went into hibernation mode like the article says and, like the article says, he assumed it had died and through it away!

Comment

Over wintering is not always successful. Often you can keep them and they are just covered in aphids or just stay as sticks! Although this year I have been lucky and a few are doing well, I'm very proud of my orange habanero that already has fruit on it.

Comment

I sown some Habanero this year and I've only had one come up, its absolutely tiny as well. Were planted about 6 weeks ago, maybe a bit more, hoping one or two others will come up as I know they can be sporadic.

Comment

Just read/found out about trying to keep pure seed and to avoid cross contamination (yep i'm that much of a rookie)

however i'm just wondering if anyone has delibrately tried to cross chillies? I kinda feel like trying to cross two types of chillies over the next few years (as well as growing pure) just to see if I can I guess make my 'own' chilli

Comment

My chillies look very healthy and strong, but they are so tiny... :-(
                                http://savinglives.ahar.ie/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X