No announcement yet.

hows everyones chilli plants?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best indicator of cold damage is to look at the stems / branches; if you can see surface defects in the form of pitting, no matter how small or sporadic it may be, the tissue above that point is done for, even if the remaining leaves still look normal and green buds for next year are in evidence. Its just a matter of time. Sometimes you can salvage a big plant afflicted in this way, but usually only by cutting it right down to a stub of wood. Mostly it's not worth the trouble. Just cut your losses and start again.

Comment

• I have 3 chilli plants under the protection of our naya - fruits were taken off when ripened, plants pruned back and re-potted. They are now fruiting and flowering again! DER! The other 2 plants I have just left in the original pots outside my shed - looking a bit sorry for themselves now but still alive.
      Just think happy thoughts

Comment

• This is a picture of a chilli plant that I took this morning - I can't remember the variety of this particular type
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bacchus; 06-01-2015, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Aaargh - one of mine (pic 6 posts above) has new leaves and is now trying to flower again. What time of year does it think it is?! I thought overwintered chillis were meant to hibernate!

It's reassuring that I'm not the only one with misbehaving plants but I'm really not sure what to do for the best if it's going to survive. At least I have three remaining plants to work with.

Comment

• The leaves on my padrons have suddenly gone floppy and sad. I think it's dying. The habaneros and lemon drop are ok, and the alberto's locoto is small and unchanging - might have to sow a couple of those just in case I have a brown thumbs moment.
            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• my fairy light has not stopped flowering and fruiting all winter!

I am just leaving it...

Comment

• It's alive!!! Yipee. Overwintering Aji lemon, espelette and ring of fire are showing signs of new life. Spring beckons (hey, what's a snow shower or two between friends).

Comment

• My Aji Lemon is also looking good. It's covered in tiny green buds waiting to burst. For now though it's quietly ticking over. Ideally I'd like to keep it dormant for another few weeks. It's in a big pot, and was last watered about a month ago.
                  My Espelette is brown bread (again)
                  On the plus side I have a Navaho looking certain to come back for this year, which is a first! Plants from the annuum group of capsicums seem to have the lowest success rate when overwintered, and particularly the larger, thicker fleshed ones.
                  Sure, there are techniques to improve the odds of keeping plants going for repeat seasons, but luck must play the biggest role.

Comment

• Well. My chillis and peppers are stupid. I watched videos, read articles and followed instructions. I dug them up, cut them back, put them in a large pot with new compost and multi purpose feed granules as recommended. Watered them occasionally And left them. What have they done? They've carried on like nothing has happened. They've grown, flowered, somehow pollinated themselves. There are no flies or bees or bugs about. I now have chillis and peppers. In February in winter In Yorkshire! I am baffled! Seriously. I picked a pepper and ate it the other day. The chillis are Going a lovely red. This morning when I looked at them, the flowers have fallen and little baby peppers are on all the plants. Hey ho.
                    You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X