• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    What variety is it Natalie?
    Cayenne Chilli seeds from Wilko.
    @thecluelessgardener

Comment

• I had 5 pods of my reaper only 1 so far has turned red, me and my mate tried it and I'm not joking my eyes were dribbling tears then panic set in there that hot, the others are bhut jolokia white which have done brilliant and fatali that we're good aswell but for some reason habeneros haven't done anything special so there in the bin and I'll try and over winter the others
      Last edited by Spunky; 07-10-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Spunky, I've got 3 Reapers - sown this year for next - which I'm excited about but fearful of in equal measure! I give most of my ultra-hot ones away to be honest; I just like the challenge of growing them. And then hearing the tales of misery from any friends / colleagues who've been brave / stupid enough to try them
        I did Fatalii as well this year. They ripened to a deep butter yellow, but weren't all that big, 3" maybe? Thought they were supposed to get quite a bit bigger..? Anyway, excellent flavour, and the plant is a reliable choice for overwintering.
        Last edited by Philthy; 08-10-2014, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• I grow chillis for the exact same reason just because I can, I'm a hot lover anyway but after seeing the scotch bonnet challenges on YouTube I'm a little worried to try them haha

Sent from my Iphone 7s

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
            I give most of my ultra-hot ones away to be honest; I just like the challenge of growing them..
            Same here, though I always keep a jar of chilli jam for prawns or a cheese board and occasionally eat a few pickled - mild ones!

Comment

• Originally posted by Waney View Post
              I grow chillis for the exact same reason just because I can, I'm a hot lover anyway but after seeing the scotch bonnet challenges on YouTube I'm a little worried to try them haha
              I use my Scotch bonnets in chilli's and curries they're far to hot for me to eat alone.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• My Espalette are still in the garden with a fleece over them.
                They were really slow to get going but the hot September has really boosted them!

Does anyone know if this variety will over winter indoors?
                I realise some varieties do better than others inside .
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Nicos I'd give them a go, I've bought my Scotch bonnets and Californian sweet peppers indoors for the winter hopefully they'll make it through for a 4th time.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• I'd give them a go too, chillies are a short lived perennial so most should survive. Jeep it out of draughts and don't overwater

Comment

• I was thinking of chopping my plants down once I've picked the fruits, that's what I did a couple of years ago, didn't know you could keep them again

Sent from my Iphone 7s

Comment

• Nicos, good choice. I had 3 out of 3 Espalette plants survive winter two years ago, so I'd say definately worth saving. The pods dried and ground up make an amazing powder!
                        Just follow the usual advice for overwintering.

Comment

• Got up this morning and noticed this... Shame all the rest are still bloody green haha

Sent from my Iphone 7s

Comment

• Had nothing off my chillies - my bad as I didn't sow them till May.

Decide to try and over winter so brought them up and sat them in the kitchen a week ago. They've now bursting into flower - one habanero has a dozed wee green chillies on it and a Bhut Jolokia half a dozen. The other plant of each are bidding/flowering as are my sweet peppers.

Looks like I'll be wrapping them in tinsel and using them as Christmas trees - by then they should have their own red baubles.
                            Last edited by Jay-ell; 20-10-2014, 03:47 PM. Reason: Bloomberg auto correct

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• I've brought in my Super Chilli, Butch T, Basket of Fire and Mini Bell Yellow this week to over winter. It was a hard choice for space so I've left my three year old Fatalii to deal with the elements along with my two year old Bolivian Rainbow (Such a pretty small tree) .

Comment

• My Espelette are outside under a cloche, but I think they'll need bringing in soon.
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X