Brussels sprouts experiment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Its either fennel, celery or celeriac as they're all on the go at the moment - as well as carrots, sweet potato and turnips. Beetroot sprout as well Some cabbage sideshoots have rooted too.
    I can't bear to throw them away without seeing if they'll root.
    I have been told you can grow a carrot from the top just cut it of place in water away you go ,it was my wife she said she had seen it on the telly.
    come on in take a seat time for tea

Comment

I have some in water now, veg man, but they're only sprouting leaves, not root

Comment

So my wife was winding me up having a good laugh with her mate no doubt.Hum we will see about that

Comment

Maybe, eventually, it might do something. Try it and see - better still ask your wife to show you how its done

Comment

Very funny tut tut lol

Comment

Carrot being biennial, surely the only thing you would get is a flower stalk? And not a very strong one because the root that we eat is also the vessel that stores the energy to form the flower and the seeds?!

Comment

In school (a long time ago) we used to grow carrot tops in saucers of water. I can't ever remember seeing anything other than leaves growing but perhaps we all got fed up long before anything else happened!
                Let us know VC what the outcome of your experiment is
                Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Which experiment LL? The carrots will only sprout leaves - but they're edible when young. I'll be fed up with the rotting stumps before they do much more growing

Comment

Originally posted by ladylottie View Post
                    In school (a long time ago) we used to grow carrot tops in saucers of water. I can't ever remember seeing anything other than leaves growing but perhaps we all got fed up long before anything else happened!
                    Let us know VC what the outcome of your experiment is
                    Looks life my wife has made a fool out of me again that will teach me to open my mouth before engageing my brain

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      So here's your next test - what are these plants and how were they grown?
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]33119[/ATTACH]
                      I fear to think what the answer could be!
                      My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Brussels sprouts experiment - results!

Its a month since I put the sprouts in their tray - today I can give you some results. Some have rooted, others have rotted. In fact the smell in here is quite unpleasant Took me a while to track it down too. All the outer leaves have yellowed which doesn't help. Most folk would chuck them in the compost! But I'm not one, tomorrow, the experiment moves to Stage 2 - potting up the rooted sprouts
                        Did anyone else try this - or was it all talk

Comment

Nope I did it Im ashamed to say my wife had a total wobbler about the smell and the whole lot was composted

In her defence the smell was horrible!
                          In the following link you can follow my recent progress on the plot

https://www.youtube.com/user/darcyvuqua?feature=watch

Comment

Originally posted by darcyvuqua View Post
                            In her defence the smell was horrible!
                            Yep!! Reminds me of chemistry lessons - when they went wrong

Comment

Am very interested to know how they grow.

Comment

So am I AD - but it will be outside next time!! Photos tomorrow - when I feel strong!!
                                Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X