The "Wrong" colour vegetables

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
    a little of what one fancies does one good.
    A little though, is where most of us fail. We've just heard of another acquaintance of our age is in hospital with four blocked heart arteries (or blocked something). Totally diet-related, totally preventable
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Calories are good especially in this horrible weather and we do need a certain amount of cholestrol as well . This is an annual luxury and a little of what one fancies does one good. So bah humbug to those who would do away with our little luxuries.
      lol, if I want calories and luxury I would rather have a large glass of chateauneuf du pape (a very nice red wine). Each to their own though.

Comment

Originally posted by Andromeda View Post
        lol, if I want calories and luxury I would rather have a large glass of chateauneuf du pape (a very nice red wine). Each to their own though.
        Ah, now you're talking, nice fresh steamed veggies with a good glass of wine. Very good

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Calories are good especially in this horrible weather and we do need a certain amount of cholestrol as well . This is an annual luxury and a little of what one fancies does one good. So bah humbug to those who would do away with our little luxuries.
          Ah but if you don't like something then it's hardly a luxury

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Ah but if you do, it most certainly is

Comment

And if you do like something and its not expensive - like best butter, then its not a luxury either

Comment

unless even buying best butter is beyond what you can normally afford

Comment

then I would give up something else Would never eat pretend butter aka marg. Rather go without.

Comment

I go without (butter/spread).

Jam on toast, no spread, ditto peanut butter. (it doesn't work with Marmite though, that HAS to have real butter underneath it). I gave up bread & milk last year, and felt loads better.

On potatoes, veggies etc: a dash of salad dressing (homemade with cider vinegar and olive/rapeseed oil)
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      But why cover them in grease? Genuinely makes no sense to me.
                      Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) need fat in order to be absorbed. I wish we would stop demonising fat - it's essential for good health. Cholesterol is vital for health - we'd be dead without it. Fat also helps with satiety. Lots of butter (the real thing) goes on top of my veg

I love the idea of different coloured veg but I will grow nothing twice unless it tastes good. I'm not sure what is "wrong" and what is "right" - I seem to recall the real seeds catalogue saying something about carrots were all originally white or purple? And that orange is a relatively recent thing? I had a yellow cauliflower recently and it did taste good - a bit nuttier than the usual white ones I eat.

Comment

TH, your moniker reminded me of the ill will that can develop on the showbench if someone exhibits yellow tomatoes. I have seen excellent exhibits wrongly ignored by the judge in favour of inferior red toms.

Comment

i have disliked and refused to eat butter since i was 2/3ys old,i was thought weird,but it now turns out that my tastebuds were correct,50 odd years later i still hate it and have no great sweet tooth either,i prefer sharp foods like rhubarb,goosegogs,raspberries etc,and all these grow easily in the veg patch.......simples....,growing the really dark french beans and purple haze carrots and maybe the odd amount of various beet colours in the new year,and looking for more interesting variants to experiment with,maybe purple tatties with purple beans,white carrots and a good fillet.....drooling now..

Comment

Originally posted by Tomato Head View Post
                            Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) need fat in order to be absorbed. I wish we would stop demonising fat - it's essential for good health. Cholesterol is vital for health - we'd be dead without it. Fat also helps with satiety. Lots of butter (the real thing) goes on top of my veg
                            Nothing to do with demonising anything, I just think that greasy food (which is how I find veggies with butter / oil on them) really horrible and totally ruined and I've never had any problem with feeling full when I've finished my meals. Believe me I use butter quite happily in cakes etc although as I don't have a sweet tooth don't eat that often.

Comment

The last few comments regarding butter etc raises a new question. Can you get "wrong" coloured butter to put on your wrong coloured veg?

Comment

Some butter is so pale it looks like lard - that's the wrong colour

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X