The "Wrong" colour vegetables

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Nothing to do with demonising anything, I just think that greasy food (which is how I find veggies with butter / oil on them) really horrible and totally ruined and I've never had any problem with feeling full when I've finished my meals. Believe me I use butter quite happily in cakes etc although as I don't have a sweet tooth don't eat that often.
    Its obviously something you feel very strongly about Alison, as you use emotive language like greasy, and totally ruined.

I would have to disagree with you though as I don't find it horrible, greasy or totally ruined. New potatoes with fresh mint, salt, pepper and a knob of butter to me is not greasy but divine. Before anyone else comments on the use of Salt to boot, I think it probably best we agree to disagree.

I believe, indirectly we are all singing from the same hymn sheet and that there are far worse things out there than putting natural products like butter on home grown produce. Artificial sweeteners for one.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I like to grow at least 2 new things every year,& love different coloured carrots caulis and beans as well as some of the more off the wall veg (Oca this year)
      As it was jubilee year we had a mashed potato union jack made of three different types of spuds and my mum asked why I had put food colouring in it.
      she still wouldn't believe me when I showed her the spuds and took umbrage,saying just because she's 82 was no excuse to take the mick.
      Still ate it though!
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I've just had my veg box delivery and it includes 3 colours of carrots - orange, purple and yellow Looking forward to doing a comparison!

Comment

bet you find they look different

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
            bet you find they look different
            You're right, amazingly they do

Comment

I grow a mix of dwarf french beans - green, yellow (rocquencourt) and purple (purple teepee I think) - the purple ones keep their colour if steamed rather than boiled. I think the different colours make them more interesting - and they all taste good!

Beetroot - I have difficulty getting any to grow :-( - but my favourites are Chioggia (pink striped) and Golden Burpee - flavour is lovely

Tomatoes - yes I love the different colours! Sadly most this year tasted average or poor - but I think that was the lack of sun - well, I hope so anyway! Surely a tomato called Violet Jasper with dark green streaked with purple has to taste good??? (grin)

Broad beans - I do grow the red ones (Epicure?) but I find they go greyish when cooked, and don't taste different from the standard ones, so I grow the green ones as well...

Keep trying to get the mini orange aubergines to work, but so far no luck - but they do look so cute on the packet!!

Comment

Originally posted by colinbowcock
                As for wrong colour the correct term should be unusual colour veg.
                no Colin. The colours are unusual but some people see that as wrong which of course it isn't

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X