How are your Toms doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leeds_lad View Post
    After the problem this year, i'm tempted to buy a heater for inside the greenhouse.
    im glad im not the only one up north who's struggling!

Comment

My Feb/March sown ones are about 30cm high and have almost stopped growing. There is the slightest hint of side shoots and the first flower buds but thats it. Quite disappointing.
      My 2014 No Dig Allotment
      My 2013 No Dig Allotment
      My 2012 No Dig Allotment
      My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Last year I ended up with way too many plants and had literally 1000+ tomatoes, this year I have a total of 11 plants - the first batch (4 plants) are about 2 feet high and are just flowering now
        Hose Pipe Reviews

Comment

My tomato plants were doing well...... sungold is 3ft+ they are full of flowers with one cherry tomato size tomato on that hasn't budged. They have been kept inside now as there is no way they will survive outside. Things are ery slow and plants cannot understand why we are having scorching weather one moment and very soggy icky weather another. I'm keeping fingers crossed yours will catch up once the sun makes an appearance (not anytime soon according to the news...)!

Comment

The tallest of my plants is only about 10 inches. No flowers as yet
            If it comes from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't!!

Comment

Slowed right down since the end of May heatwave. They've had it rough this year with the ups and downs.
              www.gyoblog.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                having just seen your other thread, i feel compelled to ask....Are you sure they're toms? Heehee!!
                Of course they are tomatoes...

I think

BigMally, thanks. My mum calls me special you know

Matt she probably talks to them, they like that you know. Just don't let the neighbours hear you!
                Choccy

My favourite animal is steak...

Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Comment

So jealous of those of you with flowers, never mind fruit XD My sweet million were in the conservatory but I moved them out during the heatwave, only for the torrential rains to arrive days later... they aren't looking like they will flower any time soon, and slugs and snails have nibbled at the stems. They are a decent height though, I'd say two feet.

Comment

My plants are looking fairly ok and most have flowers and some have small fruits at this stage.....
                    Those that have had fruits for a while, the fruits don't seem to be getting any bigger tho...hopefully when the weather improves they will...
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

I've got some in various stages, the earliest are reaching the top of the stakes, and plastered in flower and few unripe fruit so far. A couple are still 4 to 5 inches tall, I don't have a heated greenhouse but, I'm happy with their progress so far.

I've not staggered before, and to be honest it wasn't intended this year, it just kind of happened. I planted some as seeds, and purchased some, had to hold off planting a few until space became available and now I have 10 in about 4 different stages.
                      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I think mine are doing ok, considering. They're in an unheated greenhouse, but planted in the ground, so they're getting lots of water from the ground up, as it seeps through from outside. Everythings got flowers and lots of growth (some are over 3ft), but no sign of a tomato. I haven't seen one bee in there, either! Poor little buggers are probably sat around a cup of tea in the hive!

Comment

We have plenty of bees and everything seems to get pollinated. However, I do venture out with an electric toothbrush every few days when there hasn't been any sun.

All my toms are outside, either in the ground or in growbags. My best performer is the Outdoor Girl, I've only got one and it's in a bag against a brick wall that gets all the sun till 4pm and none after that. She's the biggest and the only one with fruit. She doesn't seem to mind this mediocre weather we've had since April. Perhaps the others will catch up later on as the weather improves. If not, that will be a good lesson for the next season: plant more Outdoor Girls for early/heavy crops, and perhaps one or two cherry for variety without caring much about the yield.

Comment

I've just been out pollinating and found more of my plants have fruit, i.e. some of the cherry ones planted out in April.

The flowers are so abundant I'm worried the fruit might not ripen in time

I'm going to stop the growth at 8 or 9 trusses. The OG has 6 already.
                            Last edited by otorongo; 15-06-2012, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I now have more trusses being set so that's a good sign. I also need to transplant the bean seedling that's growing in one of the tomato hanging baskets along side the to that's meant to be there - I have no idea how it got in there, I just saw it sprouting yesterday!

Comment

Awful and I think I should move to Weymouth now...I'm in search of Summer.
                                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X