No announcement yet.

Which root trainer to buy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the deep ones are good for sweetcorn leeks and peas but they are quite deep if your seeds don't need it, the rapid roottrainers are not as deep and are more like bog standard modules.
    The lids are nice but probably not necessary (or worth the extra cost) as decent (tall) hard plastic lids from regular seed/ gravel trays fit fine.
    Agree with putting the frames in a gravel tray... apparently they are fine to suspend in air but I have to protect the conservatory windowsill and they do leak a little compost.
    I really like root trainers, mainly because they are easy to open and plant out, compared to regular module trays, which I seem to destroy yo get the seedlings out, as well as having the plug of compost disintegrate...

Comment

Many thanks Salome!
      With my luck, nobody will be selling them tomorrow

Comment

someone will... but not at great discount over RRP I would expect (not at edible garden show anyway). The root trainer stand there did have bottle top waterers though- absolutely brilliant for watering seedlings, everyone asks where I got them

Comment

I bought 2 of those bottle top waterers last year. £1 each, I think. You've reminded me that that is stand to look for.

Comment

Hope you have sorted out your spending pennies. Would hate to think of you going short later in the week, as this sounds as if it could get expensive.

Have a good time, you can tell us all about it when you get back.

Colin
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Potty! My spending power is also limited by what I can carry on the bus and for the long walk uphill home. So the root trainers may be OK as they're lightweight (I hope).
              I shall bore you all senseless with my exploits tomorrow!!

Comment

Judging by my root trainers I think even I could manage that, they literally grams.

I am away now, again have a good time I await to be bored in the nicest possible way of course.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  Thanks Alison. So I could buy one frame but 2 different depths of root trainer and it wouldn't matter which I used
                  That would certainly work with what I've got but I have had them quite a few years and they might have changed the design so it would be worth checking before you buy with the seller.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Will do! I shall cross-examine him/her and see what he/she says.

Comment

Update:- I tried very very hard to cross-examine the vendor of the root-trainers with all the questions that I have subjected you to recently.- But, it was virtually impossible to get a word in! Once his patter had started there was no way to stop it until it reached the end. He did say that he cuts off the protruding roots with scissors ( so much for air shrivelling!).
                      Needless to say, I bought some - the Show special: 2 sets of large & 2 sets of small, with frames and see through lids for £21.
                      Now to try filling them with compost, inserting the "books" and sowing some seeds.
                      Thanks for all your help and patience!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Update:- I tried very very hard to cross-examine the vendor of the root-trainers with all the questions that I have subjected you to recently.- But, it was virtually impossible to get a word in! Once his patter had started there was no way to stop it until it reached the end. He did say that he cuts off the protruding roots with scissors ( so much for air shrivelling!).
                        Needless to say, I bought some - the Show special: 2 sets of large & 2 sets of small, with frames and see through lids for £21.
                        Now to try filling them with compost, inserting the "books" and sowing some seeds.
                        Thanks for all your help and patience!!
                        I insert the books first, then fill with compost - less faff
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                          I insert the books first, then fill with compost - less faff
                          It had never occurred to me to try and fill them before inserting them

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

VVG's right VC, far less faff
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Just as well I haven't taken them out of the bag yet! Maybe I try assembling one.....

Comment

Ahhh, so that's how its done

I usually fold them up, stick them in the frame and fill with compost, prodding each cell down with my finger. I'll try that method next!

VC - I should have left when you did, I just *rinsed* my bank account !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X