Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Chili and Pepper winter sowing thread.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still waiting on my Scotch bonnet and Orange habs its day 14 today last year they were up in 12 days, up to yet I've resisted poking about in the compost.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Stox View Post
      planted 6 x pretty in purple, 6 x purple venezuelan hot pepper and 6 x lemon drop on sat 15th in heated propagator.
      This morning i have 2 lemon drops and 1 venezuelan up. Hurrah!
      Now to decide what else to put in the propagator...
      So far, 4 of 6 of each of the three types i planted have emerged - am very surprised at how quickly (between 7 and 10 days) they have popped out. Now just to hope they get enough light to keep going - have them on windowsill but trying to figure out whther I can get a plugged in light to reach them.

btw, does anyone know if you can use a modern 23w power saving bulb which states it is equivalent to a 120 w old style bulb (1300 lumins) in a desk lamp that states you can use up to a 60w old style bulb? I presume the risk is the temperature build up with the old style bulbs - as the heat output is less on the new bulbs would it be ok?

Comment

• Overnight my Orange habs have popped up their heads and I can see a tiny bit of green in the a Scotch bonnet pot.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• 7 seed trays of peppers, chillies and aubergines filling up every south facing window in the house here now! I've planted them on into 2" and 3" pots (ran out of 2" pots), so have between 22 and 18 seedlings per tray, so about 138 seedlings in total here!

Cant wait til its warm enough to get them into the backyard greenhouse, gonna need more space for the next batch of chilli and pepper sowings (late feb) and the tomato sowings (soon!)
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• My habs are just poking through this morning. Sowed 3 scotch bonnet yesterday, Bren has warned me they may take at least 14 days before appearing. I really ought to replace the blowaways that blew away during the winter. My windowsills are filling rapidly.
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• mine have all surfaced now (they took 7-11 days)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• so far i have germinated
                2 praire fire
                2 hungarian hot wax
                2 naga jolokia
                2 pinocchio,s nose

Comment

• what do you do with them when they are up?

my HP is full and i want to sow some more seeds....
                  May the road rise to meet you,
                  May the wind be always at your back,
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                  Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

• 1 Chocolate Bhut sprouted in the airing cupboard so i put it in soil today (havent put it in the propagator since i dont see the point since it's already sprouted..) so perhaps it'll be up tomorrow

also have 2 Scorpions up and quite a few aubergines...

Comment

• Originally posted by bigt1888 View Post
                      what do you do with them when they are up?

my HP is full and i want to sow some more seeds....
                      mine are out of the heated prop, in small pots on my bedroom windowsill, above a radiator, with 2 lights just above them,

Comment

• Originally posted by bishop View Post
                        mine are out of the heated prop, in small pots on my bedroom windowsill, above a radiator, with 2 lights just above them,
                        the only south facing window i have is the kitchen window and the radiator is at the other side of the kitchen so i can't figure how to get both light and heat without the HP
                        May the road rise to meet you,
                        May the wind be always at your back,
                        May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                        The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
                        Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

• Originally posted by bigt1888 View Post
                          the only south facing window i have is the kitchen window
                          mine is the bedroom window. The seedlings are on the sill daytime for max light, and when the curtains are closed at dusk they are put back in the unheated prop for a sleep (too cold on a night time windowsill - room temp is fine)
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacob View Post
                            Chilis:
                            Apache Cayenne (Suttons, for reliable large crop): germinated 26/1
                            Nigel's Outdoor: germinated 16/1
                            Pretty in Purple: germinated 23/1
                            Hungarian Black (from saved seed, so who knows what it'll be): germinated 13/1, crickey, these were impossible last year from bought seed
                            Habanero orange: germinated 13/1
                            Habanero chocolate: herminated 24/1
                            Habanero yellow: germinated 21/1
                            Caribbean red: germinated 16/1
                            Scotch Bonnet yellow: germinated 21/1
                            Scotch Bonnet red: germinated 26/1
                            Tepin (last seven in a big collection): 26/1

Peppers:
                            Yankee bell: germinated 21/1
                            Lipstick: germinated 26/1?

Aubergines (crashing the early thread):
                            Moneymaker: germinated 13/1
                            Early Long: germinated 16/1
                            di Firenze: germinated 24/1
                            Ukranian: germinated 9/1
                            Right, they're all up. Even the expensive slow coach F1 Apaches. Now I guess I go quiet for a bit. The house isn't that warm and even in the best window (SE), the sunlight isn't great at this time of year. So they'll grow ssslllloowwllyyyy in their cells for a good month or so before we even think about potting them on.

Still, onions to sow at the weekend!
                            Last edited by jacob; 27-01-2011, 09:40 AM.
                            Garden Grower
                            Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

So far, 4 of 6 of each of the three types i planted have emerged - am very surprised at how quickly (between 7 and 10 days) they have popped out. Now just to hope they get enough light to keep going - have them on windowsill but trying to figure out whther I can get a plugged in light to reach them.

btw, does anyone know if you can use a modern 23w power saving bulb which states it is equivalent to a 120 w old style bulb (1300 lumins) in a desk lamp that states you can use up to a 60w old style bulb? I presume the risk is the temperature build up with the old style bulbs - as the heat output is less on the new bulbs would it be ok?

Now all but 1 purple venuzulean are up. Hurrah! Main problem is they are looking a little leggy, despite the south facing window. bother!

Comment

Now all but 1 purple venuzulean are up. Hurrah! Main problem is they are looking a little leggy, despite the south facing window. bother!
                                Hi Anna,

Have a look at the link Zazen posted (the second one ) and there's some good ideas on lighting under "After Germination".

Hope that helps
                                Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X