No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi i will try and put it here as well, I am a complete thicko with IT as I am sure the others here will testify. thankfully they helped me sort things out
    Slug control electric fence raised bed garden - YouTube
    Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

• Hi Maverick and welcome. This is Bal's post http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1245907

Comment

• Well I planted my square foot garden over the weekend so fingers crossed. Thanks to everyone for the advice and especially Andy for the video!
        sigpic

Comment

• What did you put in it Jay?
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Hi Bigmally, this is my first time doing this so started with what I think are the easiest things and also what we like to eat. Two squares each of peas...a bit dodgy I know but got them free in Homebase so worth a try, carrots and turnip and one square each of spring onion, lettuce and radish. This is just a trial and if it works I will make up the other raised bed next year. Have I made any novice mistakes here?
            sigpic

Comment

• Nope, sounds good. Beware the carrots if you have manure on the bed. The only thing I would maybe add are some flowers.
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

• Thank you Sorry for being a nuisance but what flowers and why? Is this a sacrificial flower?
                sigpic

Comment

• Firstly it's pleasing to the eye plus they attract beneficial insects & the whole array of mixed veg & flowers confused the nasty ones. I usually put a Callendulae or Marigold in a square.
                  Last edited by Bigmallly; 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Jay, I've just been to the bottom of the garden to show you a small bed I have made up. It has a mixture of Allium, Brassicas, Roots & Flowers. All untouched by slugs/snails (touching wood). You may notice that the Callendulae squares also have onions in the same square.

Attached Files

Comment

• How hard can it really be? Dividing an 8 x 4 bed to try square foot gardening seemed a good idea yesterday!

So I thought 24 square feet, cant grow much in that and will fill it in no time. Today I set about the task of planting:

Back 8 squares would be for tall growing plants, two sweet corn, 3 cane wigwam for beans, tomato etc
                      Next eight for spring onion, cabbage, cauliflower, parnips, carrots etc
                      Next eight salad crops and herbs

Then I ran out of ideas!

Comment

• That's the beauty of SFG, you don't have to plan.............just plant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                          That's the beauty of SFG, you don't have to plan.............just plant.
                          I have to plan otherwise I don't get around to doing anything

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• That's why I only have 1 SFG bed Alison as I also like to plan but it's nice to have a bed where if I have an odd couple of plants I can say "Oh what the heck, I'll bung 'em in 'ere"......................... & it really is a nice effect.

Comment

• Well, I sat on Saturday and planned mine out! Other half thought I was mad! Will definitely try to slot in some Marigolds which I have just bought, hopefully keeps the snails out. Fingers crossed my planning reaps rewards!
                              sigpic

Comment

• I have used no pest control on my SFG bed apart from the interplanting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X