• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For 100l bags of vermiculite try lbs garden warehouse.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by eospete View Post
      For 100l bags of vermiculite try lbs garden warehouse.co.uk
      £26.61... Plant It is still the cheapest of the conventional suppliers.
      My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

Comment

• A big thank you to everyone who gave me advice on square foot gardening. Thought you would like to see my progress. I've started with one very small raised bed this year as it is my first time growing veg but if successful I have more in the shed to make up next year! Anyway big thanks to everyone for their help. Here is my first attempt at growing anything!

Attached Files
        Last edited by bearded bloke; 19-06-2014, 09:39 AM. Reason: spinning pictures
        sigpic

Comment

• Sorry I have tried to right this photo! It went in the right way up, I have no idea how it ended up upside down...I don't live in Australia!

I've tried again taking a new photo and still it uploads upside down...I have no idea what I am doing sorry!
          Last edited by Jay22; 19-06-2014, 07:56 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• It's not you...I have the same trouble, are you using an ipad or iphone? It's a software problem

Comment

• Here you go Jay:

Attached Files
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Yes Scarlet, I'm using an Ipad!

Thank you Bigmally!
                sigpic

Comment

• ^^^he has to fix mine too !!

Comment

• Looks good Jay
                    My advice - don't wait until next year to make another bed up - do it now

Comment

• hello.. this thread is huge and struggling to work my way through it all. Lots of very good information
                      Purple sprouting broccoli? how many would you say per square?
                      also peas, cabbages, brussel sprouts, corn and fennel seem to have different ideas of numbers over the web.
                      whats your square foot gardening number bible for spacings?

thanks
                      xxx
                      My favourite vegetable is steak

Comment

• Have you looked at the link in the first post? http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tml#post618391

Comment

• Hi kitchengardener, I've got 2 x PSB in my square foot bed and it's definitely only one per square - the plants get pretty big! I don't know if you've grown Brussels Sprouts before but they are another plant that grows very big. I think the recommended spacing is one per 2 squares and that does make sense. With cabbage I think it could be worth disobeying the rule of one per square and planting five so you can pick off the surrounding four when they are young and leave the one in the middle to get to full size. With peas, I'm going by the rule of 8 to one square, planted either side of the support. Good luck and do post some pix here when you are done!

Comment

• My square foot garden, despite being started very recently, is really doing well. I've got 28 squares now at home in our back yard, and they are all PRODUCING, or about to. The interesting things is how much more productive it is than my allotment, despite being about a hundredth of the size. I still think allotments are great for the big things like spuds and onions and fruit bushes, but next year, going on the present showing, I might move all my tender plant production to the square foot garden.

One question: is there a permaculture vibe to square foot gardening? It seems that with all the variety there could be. I've certainly noticed a reduction in slugs and snails and other nibblers in the sq ft garden whereas this year my allotment seems positively blighted by them.

Comment

• Apparently, the mix of veggies & flowers from what I have read, confuses the beasties, don't ask me how but I know what you mean. I have just made another sq ft bed from a vacant tattie bed & its now nearly full.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

• Oh, that sounds great, BM. I filled a further six squares tonight, with mange tout, cosmos seedlings, PSB, leeds, swede and lettuce and reckon I can make a 3' x 3' unit for another corner of the yard, giving another 9 squares. I'll probably leave it till next year now, as it means getting rid of the Christmas tree and a big pot of herbs, which aren't quite ready to go yet... though as soon as I type that I can feel the urge to do it this year! But one way or another I should have 49 squares next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X