X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
    If you could only grow veg from September until June using SFG (probably only 6-8 squares) but undercover (Polytunnel) what crops would you choose to be most productive/successful for youngsters?
    Off the top of my head..........maybe Autumn Onion Sets, Leeks, Parsnips, Spring Cabbage, Garlic.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
    So how many yacon per square them?
    None.............The problem would be disturbing neighbouring squares when harvesting.

Leave a comment:

• Jay-ell
    replied
    Hmm, I might have to join in.

I found an old 8 foot blind in the garage ceiling. Should give enough lats to mark out 7 8x4 foot beds but I think I'll start off with one for now.

So how many yacon per square them?

Leave a comment:

• marchogaeth
    replied
    If you could only grow veg from September until June using SFG (probably only 6-8 squares) but undercover (Polytunnel) what crops would you choose to be most productive/successful for youngsters?

I have a few ideas and some things could be started in August to go in as plants, other things could be started with heat and light indoors but KISS is best!

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Originally posted by vixylix View Post
    They look fab BM - I love the randomness!
    Me too, Vix - that's what impresses me with SFG - there's no rigidity - think it must be my 'arty-farty' side coming out of me .......!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Thanks Vicki, Hopefully they will have filled out by next months pics.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 30-05-2016, 06:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vixylix
    replied
    They look fab BM - I love the randomness!

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Looking good Susie, the only thing I would have considered was splitting the Dwarf French Beans into separate beds. Just thought I'd put a few pics of some of the beds at the mo. They are a bit hit & miss but that's exactly what I want.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Don't know if you can make them out, but here's my 'plans' (so far..!)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your beds in the next few months.............that din't sound right did it?...........
    BM ..........BM...........BM...........!!!!! careful my friend, pointy stick approaching from the west ........

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    I'm really looking forward to seeing your beds in the next few months.............that din't sound right did it?...........

Leave a comment:

• SaraJH
    replied
    Hi Susie,

I have 4 beds in total built with sleepers so they're not exactly 8' X 4', slightly smaller. Each bed has 21 full squares plus 11 x 2/3 squares if that makes sense.

One bed is caged and will have brassicas, the cage can then be moved to another bed next year for rotation.

One bed is full of strawberries, one for salad stuff and the last one for beans, peas and my courgettes. I'm not really following the traditional SFG approach of really mixing up the planting except in the salad bed.

Spuds, carrots, parsnips and various flowers are in containers dotted around.

My plans are handwritten as well. In excel I 'drew' empty beds and printed off lots of copies that I scribble on, screw up and start again lol

I'll post some pics of my plans later this evening.

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Sara, how many beds are you doing SFG - and how many squares do you have, out of interest ...???

I have 4 beds - the small one being 12 squares and the other 3 have 21 squares.

I've had fun planning them out - although my plans have been made on graph paper with a pencil and rubber, you can probably tell I'm not a computer wizz..!!!! (Unlike BM - whose plans look very professional... just a bit envious of all those beds 'n squares ...!!!)

Leave a comment:

• SaraJH
    replied
    6 squares it is in that case Susie!!

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
    Hi BM, that looks great. Interesting that you have one square per courgette, I was going to allow 6 squares for 2 plants but it would be great if I could save some of those.
    Sarah, I think I may have made a 'school-girl' error when I planted my two courgettes on Saturday ... IMHO - I'd still allocate your 6 squares for 2 plants - my two I allocated 2 squares each - and they look hemmed in already .....!!!! I think they could take the whole bed over ....

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X