Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Ideally you want to put a different crop in to the one you have harvested, this will reduce the harbouring of pests/disease. If it's the only square available then put some more in & see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• Marb67
    replied
    I have started 2 small 3 x 3ft beds for the first time this year and so far it seems to be working as for one not as much slug/snail damage and good growth.

Just a question about replenishment. When say harvesting my radish (16 in a ft), can I keep re-sowing to replace harvested as I know you are not supposed to keep sowing the same veg in the same spot over and over or is this just annually ?

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• lolie
    replied
    I'm using square foot spacings in my raised beds.

Only got stuff into the ground today, so it will be interesting to see the results.

It's not laid out how I wanted at the moment, partly because I was hoping to have more beds ready and partly because some of the seedlings I wanted to put into the beds decided to **** themselves over the last week.

I'm also not using the mix I wanted at the moment. My beds are 120 litre and at the moment each contains 60 litres coconut coir, 30 litres MPC and 30 litres of a vege potting mix which contains blood and bone.

The lack of vermiculite probably won't matter over winter but I definitely want to add it for the summer crops along with some mushroom compost.

Starting my 220 litre compost bin today as well.
    Last edited by lolie; 17-04-2016, 01:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Just thought I'd put an update of how my beds are coming on, there's still room for some successional plantings, flowers & more tender plants like the humble tomato. Are you trying the SFG method & if so, hows it going?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lolie
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Sounds a good idea lolie, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Besides, they don't have to be squares, they can be any shape you desire.
    And keyhole gardens don't have to be round, either. It's really the central compost tower and the slope which make them work.

Might make a small one and see how it goes. What have I got to lose?
    Last edited by lolie; 21-03-2016, 11:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Sounds a good idea lolie, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Besides, they don't have to be squares, they can be any shape you desire.

Leave a comment:

• lolie
    replied
    I'm thinking about creating a bed which combines a keyhole garden with SFG.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Speedy recovery Bex.

Leave a comment:

• Bex2012
    replied
    Big thank you to everyone who has posted! Laid up with a cold, so Ive read all 84 pages. Think this might be way to go for me whilst i get my allotment established...

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    There are some free to download & print guide sheets here ... Printable square foot gardening cheat sheets

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    OK, I've done some digging around (see what I did there) & this should give a good insight ... http://www.suwanee.com/pdfs/Square%2...P%20031610.pdf ...

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    ^^^^ Sadly organicgarden.org.uk who hosted this website where this .pdf was located no longer exist, hence the 404 message

Leave a comment:

• Pacey
    replied
    Tried to look at the PDF and I just get

"Not Found

The requested URL /blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sqft_step_by_step.pdf was not found on this server."

Leave a comment:

• elleme
    replied
    Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
    'Scuse my butting in, but my top tip for protecting plants from cats is upturned wire hanging baskets - like these: Value Wire Hanging Basket - 30cm pegged down with tent pegs. Obviously suits some type of plant better than others, and you can either leave the plant to grow through or remove it when it's a bit more robust.*
    I do the same with seedlings/vulnerable plants as I'm a cat owner and also have foxes in the neighbourhood who love digging multiple holes (as well as poo). I also re-used some old plastic trellis netting which was hanging around the garden, either laid flat on soil or in an arched tunnel pegged down, and that helped too.
    Last edited by elleme; 28-12-2015, 05:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cazp
    replied
    Originally posted by colin1957 View Post
    Cazp, many thanks for that will check homebase out i think
    I just checked again and it's actually 4 bags of topsoil for the price of three. Good luck with fillling your raised beds.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X