Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veggiechicken
    replied
    You probably already knew this or its in this thread somewhere, but, just in case............
    I've just been reading Mel Bartholomew's " Square metre gardening" book. I had always assumed it was the same as Square foot gardening but with bigger squares - otherwise, why would there need to be a new book ?
    I was completely wrong Sq Metre gardening means 9 squares within a one metre square bed. The new book has been "anglicised" so that it is more relevant to UK gardeners.
    If you understand the language and principles in SFG you don't need to buy SMG
    As you were................

Leave a comment:

• Noosner
    replied
    You could maybe sow a square of field beans, though. They'd be easy to control.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    I would only be tempted to use green manure in SFG if the bed was completely emptied. It would be a divel to control otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Kristen
    replied
    Originally posted by kitchengardener View Post
    Anything's worth a go. Otherwise there will be empty square til next year now
    Is Green Manure used in SFG?

Leave a comment:

• kitchengardener
    replied
    Anything's worth a go. Otherwise there will be empty square til next year now xxx

Leave a comment:

• Kristen
    replied
    I think netting-after-the-fact less likely to be a good solution for Cabbages, compared to other brassicas (unless the plants are still relatively young, and not started to heart-up), but they might turn into Spring Greens at least.

Leave a comment:

• Noosner
    replied
    Originally posted by kitchengardener View Post
    Really wish is have planted extra cabbages like you suggested noosner. They have been eaten within an inch of there life. Not fit for consumption x
    Have you tried netting them, even at this late stage, KG? Was just saying on another thread how that advice has proved lifesaving to my ravaged brassicas. Last weekend I was ready to chuck them all. This weekend, after a week under a net, they look amazingly healthy.

Leave a comment:

• kitchengardener
    replied
    Really wish is have planted extra cabbages like you suggested noosner. They have been eaten within an inch of there life. Not fit for consumption x

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    What a good idea. Make the trellis 1ft square then when folded down it can become your grid.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 05-08-2014, 10:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Noosner
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Just imagine what it will be like next year..............
    I know: I can't wait to plant it all up again. I have plans for a clever fold-down bean trellis...

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Just imagine what it will be like next year..............

Leave a comment:

• Noosner
    replied
    Ah, there's not going to be a square foot category in our Virtual Show this year! Never mind, here are some pix of one of my square foot beds anyway:

In June:

In July:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    For all you square footers here is a good looking planner for you to try:

Sites-Gardeners-Site
    That's a good link BM - Ta
    I like the pre-planned gardens Sites-Gardeners-Site for ideas on layout and there's lots of interesting info about all sorts of things. I've BM'd it (BookMarked)

Leave a comment:

• bumear
    replied

Sites-Gardeners-Site
    Thanks bigmallly, much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied