Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Nasturtiums are beneficial as they attract blackfly which the good bugs can munch on. The problem I find is that if you don't lift them early enough they drop their seeds and you'll have lots of rogue plants next year........Anyways, less of my waffling. I've been playing with the SFG today & here's an update:

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    just ordered some pot Marigold 'Mexican' seeds - didn't know that the other sort aren't edible .......

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    So, if not nasturtium - are there any other plants that can be companion sown with my veggies ...??!

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    I would personally avoid Nasturtiums as they self seed like crazy & are a pain to get rid of.
    Oh dear, I thought they were supposed to be especially beneficial and good to eat too??

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    I would personally avoid Nasturtiums as they self seed like crazy & are a pain to get rid of.

Leave a comment:

• Lumpy
    replied
    In the past I have put 1 nasturtium in per 4 square - at the point where they meet as it means you have as nearly as much veg growing room.

However, remember the nast's are only attractive (I think) to the cabbage whites so are only useful for amondst your brassica's.

I now plant climpning nast's among a close flower bed to attract the whites away from my veg. Their sent is addictive to them (a bit like me and a good cheese). I grow the climbing variety as they will mingle in amongst the flowers rather than form a clump.

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    I'm going to try this SFG in my new beds. Just sitting down with some graph paper and trying to plan. Trouble is I keep on picking my iPad up and reading new posts/threads, I think I'm addicted .....!!
    It's all so interesting and far more varied than you would ever find in a single gardening reference book!!
    Plus, I'm nosey, I like to see what everyone else is doing!!!

So anyway, SFG, anything can go anywhere, next to anything - just to be aware of taller plants overshadowing the smaller ones. Can I put some nasturtiums in with the mix - and how many to a square ...?

Leave a comment:

• Lumpy
    replied
    I am a believer in the 'cram them all in together' school of growing. At the moment 1 of my footish squares has turnip, beetroot and spring onions in it.

Go on be a dibble and have a go to see what works for you.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    I was wondering if you could mix veg in the same square foot as say you would have 16 radish, could you have half and half of something else that you can plant 16 of ( as long as they are not antagonistic with each other of course) when I pull my radish I want to plant something different in the same hole as in summer they will bolt. How long also before the compost mixture will exhaust in a square foot bed ?
    The square foot gardening plans are guidelines of how much space plants need,so you can lift 8 radish & plant 3 spinach,8 carrots or 3 turnips if you want,as long as you don't forget & then one day look at your radish bed & think what are those weeds? The compost would be fine,when I lift my potatoes (in bags) I plant tomatoes,peppers & flowers straight in after with a bit of BFB for nutrients.

Leave a comment:

• LizzieG
    replied
    This may help you to start planning your sq ft beds. Obviously you can expand the sheet to your own needs.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...5TaXc&hl=en_GB
    Thanks for the spreadsheet, I am new to this gardening lark so all help greatly appreciated. Printed out & in my seed box for reference

Leave a comment:

• Marb67
    replied
    I was wondering if you could mix veg in the same square foot as say you would have 16 radish, could you have half and half of something else that you can plant 16 of ( as long as they are not antagonistic with each other of course) when I pull my radish I want to plant something different in the same hole as in summer they will bolt. How long also before the compost mixture will exhaust in a square foot bed ?

Leave a comment:

• Lumpy
    replied
    I have found that dotting different plants about also helps with potential light problems. As onions and leeks etc grow straight up and don't have a leafy canopy they can help leafier veggies that are planted next to them get more light.

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Ah.....thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
    Ok I need to ask why do peeps not have all of the same veg in the same place? So for example why do you have squares of onions dotted around instead of a groups of squares together full of onions?

I'm sure that's a silly question but I'm tired today so humour me please?
    It is believed that companion planting confuses the beasties, whether that's true or not I don't know. What I do know is from my experience crops don't seem to suffer as much as traditional planting.

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Just thought I'd put an update of how my beds are coming on, there's still room for some successional plantings, flowers & more tender plants like the humble tomato. Are you trying the SFG method & if so, hows it going?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63227[/ATTACH]
    Ok I need to ask why do peeps not have all of the same veg in the same place? So for example why do you have squares of onions dotted around instead of a groups of squares together full of onions?

I'm sure that's a silly question but I'm tired today so humour me please?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X