Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheneval
    replied
    I haven't managed to read all the posts on this subject so this may have been covered already.

I made up my own mix for the beds and put in overwinter onions in 3 of them covered by 1 hooped cover - they did all right but not as the biggest of the onions in a normal raised bed with similar cover. I intend to improve the mix this year and use 3 covers rather than one next year as they are difficult to move for weeding.

I used a similar mix for beetroots in two beds last year which proved very successful and a slightly improved mix in 3 raised beds this year - my grandsons aged 6 and 9 made up the mix to my spec this year and all 3 beds have proved successful - I had the covered with fleece till all danger of frost had past. I am in the process of preparing more 4'x4' beds for next year and will make individual covers for each. I can't honestly say I am doing square foot gardening but have adapted some of the methods used to suit myself and I like the results so far. :-)
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    I may be ok as some of my Courgettes have been munched to the core................no worries though as they were spares...........

Leave a comment:

• SaraJH
    replied
    Hahaha!

We will both be binning them in a few months lol

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Well if I can try & grow a Courgette in 1 square there is no reason why you shouldn't try growing 4 Cabbages in 1....................

Leave a comment:

• SaraJH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Good job you confirmed "mini Varieties" of Cabbage & Cauli Sara as otherwise they would need 1 square per plant.
    Indeed BM, I'm more than a little dubious as to quite how small they will actually be.... We shall see

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Good job you confirmed "mini Varieties" of Cabbage & Cauli Sara as otherwise they would need 1 square per plant.

Leave a comment:

• SaraJH
    replied
    A bit late Susie but here is my brassica bed plan.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by marchogaeth View Post
    That's small enough to stake. I think it's important to remove leaves once they are not productive. I used to do this when I had them in the poly tunnel. BM would you plant a bush one or a vine on the basis that is is easier to grow up and over.
    I would think a vine variety would be easier to tie in, I would just keep removing the bottom leaves as they tend to rot quickly anyway. A bush "may" grow in a cage, I've never tried it.

Leave a comment:

• Jay-ell
    replied
    I grew Costa Romanescue up a trellis - two in a three foot by one foot space. Another 2 didn't make it as the stems snapped when I was tying them up.

Leave a comment:

• marchogaeth
    replied
    That's small enough to stake. I think it's important to remove leaves once they are not productive. I used to do this when I had them in the poly tunnel. BM would you plant a bush one or a vine on the basis that is is easier to grow up and over.

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Yes, in an ideal world 4 squares would be given to Courgettes. I'm giving them 1 square with the intention of trying to grow them vertically up a cane so they end up something like this:

BM, I've only given 2 squares to my courgettes and wish I'd allotted 4 each. Could I stake mine now to grow vertically, rather than sprawling. They're just going to overrun everything in neighbouring squares ...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• marchogaeth
    replied
    Off the top of my head..........maybe Autumn Onion Sets, Leeks, Parsnips, Spring Cabbage, Garlic.
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Marchogaeth.............Broad beans, peas, salad leaves, spinach, chard, carrots..............
    I also had short day length greens like mizuna, turnips if I started them in modules in August. VC hadn't got carrots down so good one. Ideally, I want two crops per square or more. Thinking to green manure the lot over summer when it gets water but nothing else? Best plant there - mustard or spinach?? Would have to be chopped and dug in green.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Yes, in an ideal world 4 squares would be given to Courgettes. I'm giving them 1 square with the intention of trying to grow them vertically up a cane so they end up something like this:

Last edited by Bigmallly; 30-05-2016, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jay-ell
    replied
    None.............The problem would be disturbing neighbouring squares when harvesting.
    OR 16 squares per plant

I've seen in planting plans courgettes having two squares - I would have thought 2X2 squares as I cant imagine courgettes fitting into that space.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Marchogaeth.............Broad beans, peas, salad leaves, spinach, chard, carrots..............

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X