This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi keat63,

Although I wouldn't say I've stressed ours this year, they've definitely been hotter than the type we grew were expected to be & it is said that a pampered chilli produces milder fruit.

I use the finger test for watering: if the pot feels damp I leave it - if it feels dry as an old chip I give it a good drink but never enough that it's standing in water (read somewhere chillies don't like wet feet). Once a week when in peak flowering & fruiting I give a tomato feed drink (maybe a little more than a week if the soil wasn't dry).

I'm not sure about 'stressing' plants now (I'll leave that for a more experienced grower) but it's probably about time to cut back on the watering now anyway if you plan to try overwintering the plant so I can't see that doing any harm. I haven't bothered giving tom feed for a couple of weeks now.

My instinct is there's a chance any still-ripening fruit will still get hotter but if they're already ripe it might not have much time left to have an effect.

Give it a try & see If it works that will be great - if not then you'll still have the chillies (albeit milder ones). I'd be interested to hear how you get on

Comment

After berating the OH for using nearly all of our remaining chillies in a meal the other night when he knew I planned to save some seed, I took some seed from one small red fruit of our Chilli 'Eureka' yesterday. There were an amazing 17 seeds just in that one fruit - much more than I was expecting - which I now have drying out for sowing next year

OH now has permission to cook with the last 3 or 4, which I doubt will fully ripen now but are still lovely when in their milder purple even if they don't make it as far as yellow or red

Comment

Having eaten all of our chillies (I reckon we've had about 60 or so all together on our one little plant), our 'Eureka' has had a haircut today.

I'm not sure if I've done it correctly & was going to leave it 'un-pruned' for a while longer but it was looking rather sorry for itself what with dropping leaves & a healthy colony of greenfly so I think I've probably given it a better chance

Comment

A link to the 2024 thread.

Chillies - growing and overwintering 2024 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X