This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    I’ve potted on my peppers from the kitchen roll .
    I now have 3 surviving seedlings
    At least those are looking healthy!
    OH has fortunately sown more red peppers from a packet.

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The greenhouse is now full and I have last years Roccoto Pico in the border here's hoping last nights drop to below 8 degrees was a fluke.

Comment

First buds on the chilli plants I overwintered and on the ones I sowed this year. Jury is still out on which approach will get me the best harvest.

Comment

Annie, The first flowers have opened on mine today,
          I am pleasantly surprised as mine were sown late this year.
          Hope we get a good crop

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've got lots of fruit on my greenhouse peppers already (all still green, but some already quite large).
            My outdoor ones are just starting to set fruit.

Comment

My Beaver Dam mild chillies are flowering. They are quite tall. First time with this one, and I'm excited to see how they do.
              Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                First buds on the chilli plants I overwintered and on the ones I sowed this year. Jury is still out on which approach will get me the best harvest.
                I'll be interested to hear which does best for you.
                Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

This is our Chilli 'Eureka': sown 11 Feb & grown on the kitchen windowsill - photo taken on 02 Aug.

I'll definitely try to overwinter this one as it makes a quite pretty plant & I've counted 39 fruits so far with more flowers opening (I've been diddling them with a tiny paintbrush).

One thing I learnt when I tried to overwinter a couple of jalepeno's last year.....after you put them in the spare bedroom around the end of October - yes water sparingly but that doesn't mean forget about them until January & then water a dead stick for 2 months before you admit it's dead lol

Comment

Well it is certainly looking like th overwintered scotch bonnets might win the competition. Quite a lot of chillis although still small. My plants I sowed this year are further behind.

Comment

Am growing Hungarian hot wax this year. Does anyone know if they come in different colours? I think mine are supposed to go red but been this colour for ages. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2974.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	762.8 KB
ID:	2568654

Comment

That's their normal unripe colour. Not all varieties of pepper are green when unripe - some are that lemon yellow, and others are purple.

Comment

Ok that’s fine. Will just be patient.

Comment

But they start off green then they go that lemon yellow colour. I read they’re mostly harvested at that yellow stage in a couple of websites,left to go red they’ll be considerably hotter,could try one now & decide?

Comment

I posted in the fruit section as I’m not sure which section is relevant for chillies.

I’ve grown 4 different chilli varieties this year and only one has heat.
                              My jalapeños are fat and plump but have no heat what so ever.
                              I’m lead to believe that they’ve been cared for too well, and the heat comes from the plant being stressed.
                              considering that all the chillies are now ripe, if I were to withhold water and stress the plant, would these ripe chillies gain any heat now, are are they a lost cause for this year.?

MoD edit. Post moved from Fruit section.
                              Last edited by Bren In Pots; 03-10-2023, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Don't worry. Mild jalapeños make a wonderful salad vegetable.
                                Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X