X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chillies - growing and overwintering 2024

A new thread for a new year.

Here's last years for comparison :-

Chillies - growing and overwintering 2023 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)
    Location....East Midlands.

Sowed Trinidad perfume, lemon dream, spangles and cayenne peppers today.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Gave my attempt at overwintering Chilli 'Eureka' a trim yesterday - think it's dead tbh but will persevere for a while yet. I saved seed anyway which I'll sow at some point in the next few weeks

Comment

I've got
        Anaheim
        Basket of fire
        Ohnivec

and Golden Cayenne to try this year.

I used to grow Joes Long and harvest a bagfull take them the work and give them to a friend and his wife used to use them in the curries she made and I used to get a bag ful of home made Samosas every couple of months ... worked well till we both left and he lives about 40 or 50 miles away now and we lost touch
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

My cayenne died in this recent cold. But I have more sown for this year (cayenne).
          Northern England.

Comment

Commiserations Containergardener I'm still deluding myself about our plant so gave it some water this morning lol

Comment

Put some Chilli 'Eureka' seed to chit this morning (home-saved seed so want to be sure they're viable). Still no sign of life on last year's overwintering plant.

Comment

The second of the seeds had chitted yesterday (the first a few days before), so they're now in little pots with sandwich bag hats on the windowsill. Still hoping for a few more to sprout for friends but at least we know we have the two plants we want for our kitchen windowsill this year

OH has however insisted that he also wants at least one Cayenne this year so I'm off to put a few to chit

Comment

How do you chit them? On kitchen paper?
                  Mine still haven't appeared to germinate so need to get some seeds or try supermarket ones we have .

Ooops just bought some other sorts
                  Last edited by Containergardener; 11-02-2024, 12:37 PM.
                  Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                    How do you chit them? On kitchen paper?
                    Mine still haven't appeared to germinate so need to get some seeds or try supermarket ones we have .

Ooops just bought some other sorts
                    I do mine between two layers of damp kitchen paper, sealed in a plastic tub (to keep the moisture in), then placed above my kitchen radiator (not too close, or they'll cook). Ideally you want to keep them in the high 20s for fastest germination.
                    Viable seeds should sprout within a week with this method, and can then be potted up. Anything that hasn't sprouted by then is almost certainly dead, and can just be resown immediately.

Comment

Hi Containergardener,

As ameno says, I use damp kitchen roll in a takeaway container. I don't have a rad I can place mine above so they just go on the kitchen worktop - being a little cooler, stuff like chillies might take a few more days to germinate but it still does the trick.

I do this with lots of types of seeds/beans now as it takes away some of the mystery of how many will sprout & saves on compost - takeaway containers stack nicely too so take up less space than lots of seed trays.

You just need to check regularly for the little root sprout then get them in some soil ASAP afterwards. Left too long they can start to burrow into the kitchen roll which makes them fiddly to extract - or even start putting up their seed leaves which happened with some old lettuce seed I sowed to check viability last year!

Comment

Thanks ameno and andraste I shall follow your advice
                        Northern England.

Comment

Got a delivery of :-
                          One Yellow 7 Pot plug plant
                          One Scotch Bonnet plug plant
                          One Kashmiri Mirch plug plant (free bonus)

from worldofchillies.com. That'll make up for the ex-kitchen seeds which didn't germinate (Must've dried those ones in the oven instead of naturally, or they were just too old)

Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

The 1st 'Eureka' has popped it's head above soil today (16 days from chitting)

Looking back at last year I'm a little in advance - I didn't chit, didn't sow until 11 Feb & saw the 1st seed leaves on 26 Feb (15 days). Who knows if 10 extra days of growth will really make much difference but we shall see

Comment

Soaking some cayenne, anaheim and heatwave
                              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X