X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
    My ‘outdoor’ aubergine ps are beginning to flower! Exciting
    Great!
    Once you get fruit you are away - the fruits grow very quickly, much faster than tomatoes.
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 04-07-2022, 07:26 PM.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
      My ‘outdoor’ aubergine ps are beginning to flower! Exciting
      Nice one Dorothy, this latest cool snap has slowed ours right down, hoping the forecast is right and it's going to start warming up from today
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

Great!
        Once you get fruit you are away - the fruits grow very quickly, much faster than tomatoes.
        I'm still waiting for a flower! If I ever get one I look forward to it quickly turning into an aubergine. We're getting warm and sunny weather too, so I thought there was a chance of a crop.

Definitely a pest magnet, aubergines. I've had some kind of leaf miner, some greenfly (and such thick, untasty leaves too, it's surprising), and an earwig. Luckily the tomatoes all around seem unaffected.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• I just came on here and noticed a reference to pollination. My aubergines are in the greenhouse. I have always grown them outside, before. I do have one fruit so clearly they will produce in there, but would they have been better outside? I can't easily move them as they are on quadgrows, but it's possible. Should I be helping them along with a paint brush?.

Comment

• I'm not going to say it too loudly in case I jinx it, but it looks like I finally have a flower bud appearing...
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Yeah! I have some actual fruits appearing!

Comment

• Originally posted by remf33 View Post
                I just came on here and noticed a reference to pollination. My aubergines are in the greenhouse. I have always grown them outside, before. I do have one fruit so clearly they will produce in there, but would they have been better outside? I can't easily move them as they are on quadgrows, but it's possible. Should I be helping them along with a paint brush?.
                Aubergines are self fertile. Insects promote pollination by vibration. Electric toothbrush works splendidly but I got scalded by my partner for using hers. Tapping the stem seems to work, unless of course it's insects and I'm kidding myself.
                Light and water is what they need now.
                I used to be quanglewangle. It's a long story

Comment

• Fruits are starting to come thick and fast now - in fact the Early Long Purple are going bazonkers..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Early-Long-Purple.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	2549005 Click image for larger version

Name:	B-Beauty.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	2549006
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                    Fruits are starting to come thick and fast now - in fact the Early Long Purple are going bazonkers..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Early-Long-Purple.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	2549005 Click image for larger version

Name:	B-Beauty.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	2549006
                    I have serious aubergine envy Mr Bones.
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Ha.. some of those were cooked on the griddle last night
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Lovely, Mr Bones. How do you store surplus, out of interest? Freezer?

Comment

• Ha fimblefowl! I might be a bit miffed too!
                          I have some old electric disposable tooth brushes. I did just use a paint brush in the ned, but have several aubergines on the way and one nearly ready to harvest. I wish I could find those snails though... the sneaky ones that are invisible when I go in the greenhouse, but which nibble the leaves, and yesterday, I discovered, had bitten through the stalks to semi-sever two flowers. I am tempted to put some (animal safe) slug stuff down, as it's the greenhouse (I still worry about animals with that stuff), but the leaves are so big I think they might by-pass it.

Comment

• I am growing meatball, Scorpio and Black Beauty this year. Four plants (I gave loads more away as I found more than that could get a bit much if they all fruit at the same time.)
                            I rather wish I had grown Peroperosa again. They are so beautiful. Next year...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                              Lovely, Mr Bones. How do you store surplus, out of interest? Freezer?
                              Surplus aubs are given away - we don't tend to freeze that much of our produce really.
                              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

Surplus aubs are given away - we don't tend to freeze that much of our produce really.
                                Nice. You must be very popular.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X