Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's a lot of aubergine for not much food, Mr B.

I know you're all going to say "yes, but you live in Spain", but conditions in my part of Spain are really harsh. And last year I disposed of thousands of snails (no exaggeration). The only big difference, I'd say, is that so far I've seen no red spider mite. Famous last words... I know it exists locally because it's a topic of discussion among growers here.

Start them off in a greenhouse and then move them outdoors? Mine don't get knocked back by the really cold temperatures that often finish off the tomato plants towards the end of September. So a spell of cold isn't the end of the world. Maybe the biggest issue would be waterlogging in frequent rains.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
      That's a lot of aubergine for not much food, Mr B.
      I agree Snoop, I suppose the dish originated in part of the world where they have plenty of aubergines. Was good though.. went great with sourdough flatbreads

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Nobody wants to know I'm going to pick five tonight, all unblemished... Aubergine parmigiana for tea and leftovers cold for lunch tomorrow. To be honest, I actually prefer it cold.

The only care mine get is daily watering and staking to hold up fruit and against wind.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	E981FB95-F8A0-49E1-9C8A-DC681DE3A80C.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	781.1 KB
ID:	2549537

first 2 aubergine,both weigh just over 9 ounces​​​​​, hopefully there will be more! If not work out a bit expensive!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
            Click image for larger version

first 2 aubergine,both weigh just over 9 ounces​​​​​, hopefully there will be more! If not work out a bit expensive!
            Fantastic - that's just over 250g! Good size and good looking too.
            I used to be quanglewangle. It's a long story

Comment

• Can’t see anymore appearing unfortunately, am trying the pollination thing!

Comment

• Congratulations on the arrival of the twins Dorothy
                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
                  Click image for larger version

Well done, they look fab!
                  I still only have lots of flowers...
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Any further advice on how to encourage more fruit to form? I have flowers and have done the ‘gentle tapping’ to encourage pollination, but nothing more is happening!

2 beautiful aubergine from 3 bought plants! Works out expensive fruit!

they are outside, in a sheltered and sunny spot, and are fed

Comment

• No advice Dorothyrouse I am afraid. Mine have gone into that 'flowers only' state too, but after a halfway decent harvest so far.

On the other hand, we don't grow them to undercut Lidl.

Comment

• Just to make you all feel better, I still only have flowers, lots and lots of flowers.
                        No fruit at all yet...
                        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                        Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Ours are getting red spider mite so they'll be hoiked outside to give the peppers and chillies a better chance.
                          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                            That seems a bit early, FF. Maybe it's just the weather. I often get a really big flush of aubergines in September. Yours might start up again.
                            I didn't throw them out and now I have fruits setting again. Ran out of tomato feed so they will just have to make do with high K agricultural fertiliser granules.
                            Thanks Snoop Puss

Comment

• Originally posted by fimblefowl View Post

I didn't throw them out and now I have fruits setting again. Ran out of tomato feed so they will just have to make do with high K agricultural fertiliser granules.
                              Thanks Snoop Puss
                              September is by far and away the best month here for aubergines and peppers. In your mild climate, you should get a really long aubergine season. Doubtless they'll be happy with whatever you give them.

Comment

• Am thrilled to announce​​​​​​, following your advice about ‘helping pollination’! I have more fruit appearing!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X