X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Here's the 2023 thread.

Aubergines 2023 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    Very impressive, Mr Bones.

Mine not so much, one large aubergine about 1lb in size. I'll have a think about whether I want to give up the space next year....

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    The weather's forecast to cool down as of tonight so I reckon this will be the last of this years crop. Been a good year though..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Last-Aubs.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	505.1 KB
ID:	2552187

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Originally posted by peanut View Post

I never have any ricotta in when I need it. So started to look into making it, it's looks so easy! How to make ricotta cheese | Features | Jamie Oliver
    My problem is I live in a land of UHT milk and that's not so good for cheesemaking, apparently. I use a local cheese called mató, a bit smoother than a proper ricotta but not bad.

Make your own ricotta, use your own aubergines (and other veg)... The dish is quite impressive with the topping. Could be worth photographing for the Vine end-of-season show if you make it.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

I make imam bayildi and aubergine parmigiana quite often, so I guess these must be our favourites. Also love them in Delia Smith's vegetarian moussaka with ricotta topping https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...icotta-topping I can't get ricotta here, so use any kind of crumbly soft cheese. Even cottage cheese would probably work well if you mashed it up a bit to get the curds and liquid to combine. Edited to add that I just use all brown lentils and don't bother with the red wine. Still really good.

That looks nice, Mr B.
    I never have any ricotta in when I need it. So started to look into making it, it's looks so easy! How to make ricotta cheese | Features | Jamie Oliver

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    And another one weighing over a pound in weight, and more to come, I’m very pleased

Click image for larger version

Name:	207228C8-278E-4CF9-A6F3-39050ABAC443.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	2551394
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Now I am a fully fledged member of the aubergine growers club I want to make the most of my first harvest.
    What are your favourite ways to cook or recipes for enjoying this yummy veggie?
    I make imam bayildi and aubergine parmigiana quite often, so I guess these must be our favourites. Also love them in Delia Smith's vegetarian moussaka with ricotta topping https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...icotta-topping I can't get ricotta here, so use any kind of crumbly soft cheese. Even cottage cheese would probably work well if you mashed it up a bit to get the curds and liquid to combine. Edited to add that I just use all brown lentils and don't bother with the red wine. Still really good.

That looks nice, Mr B.
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 03-09-2022, 08:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    My one and only aubergine, came in at a pound in weight. A funny shape, like lots of little aubergines stuck together. Absolutely perfect inside, and is now in four dishes in the freezer, plus two eaten already.
    Last edited by Babru; 03-09-2022, 06:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
    I still have about 6 aubergine to harvest, is it a good idea to remove any leaves etc as you do with tomatoes?
    Don't know Dot so watching with interest - we still have half a dozen to harvest too, some of the plants seem to be having a bit of a renaissance

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    I still have about 6 aubergine to harvest, is it a good idea to remove any leaves etc as you do with tomatoes?

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    Now I am a fully fledged member of the aubergine growers club I want to make the most of my first harvest.
    What are your favourite ways to cook or recipes for enjoying this yummy veggie?
    Aubergine mousaka is good, also aubergine lasagne and ratatouille of course

Leave a comment:

• FromYorkshiretoBucks
    replied
    Originally posted by Babru View Post
    Anyone know of some tasty mini aubergines I could try? Our season is a lot shorter than somewhere like Cornwall. I have great success with snack peppers, so aubergines might be the same.
    A little late but I picked up a baby belle plant from my local garden centre early June and potted on into a 12 inch pot. Only grows to a bout a foot height / diameter but had about a dozen fruits from it so far. Definitely going to grow again next year

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    They look great,and will taste great

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Superb peanut they look great

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Look at my babies!