X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    Am thrilled to announce​​​​​​, following your advice about ‘helping pollination’! I have more fruit appearing!

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Originally posted by fimblefowl View Post

I didn't throw them out and now I have fruits setting again. Ran out of tomato feed so they will just have to make do with high K agricultural fertiliser granules.
    Thanks Snoop Puss
    September is by far and away the best month here for aubergines and peppers. In your mild climate, you should get a really long aubergine season. Doubtless they'll be happy with whatever you give them.

Leave a comment:

• fimblefowl
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    That seems a bit early, FF. Maybe it's just the weather. I often get a really big flush of aubergines in September. Yours might start up again.
    I didn't throw them out and now I have fruits setting again. Ran out of tomato feed so they will just have to make do with high K agricultural fertiliser granules.
    Thanks Snoop Puss

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Ours are getting red spider mite so they'll be hoiked outside to give the peppers and chillies a better chance.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Just to make you all feel better, I still only have flowers, lots and lots of flowers.
    No fruit at all yet...

Leave a comment:

• fimblefowl
    replied
    No advice Dorothyrouse I am afraid. Mine have gone into that 'flowers only' state too, but after a halfway decent harvest so far.

On the other hand, we don't grow them to undercut Lidl.

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    Any further advice on how to encourage more fruit to form? I have flowers and have done the ‘gentle tapping’ to encourage pollination, but nothing more is happening!

2 beautiful aubergine from 3 bought plants! Works out expensive fruit!

they are outside, in a sheltered and sunny spot, and are fed

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post
    Click image for larger version

Name:	E981FB95-F8A0-49E1-9C8A-DC681DE3A80C.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	781.1 KB
ID:	2549537

first 2 aubergine,both weigh just over 9 ounces​​​​​, hopefully there will be more! If not work out a bit expensive!
    Well done, they look fab!
    I still only have lots of flowers...

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Congratulations on the arrival of the twins Dorothy

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied
    Can’t see anymore appearing unfortunately, am trying the pollination thing!

Leave a comment:

• fimblefowl
    replied
    Originally posted by Dorothyrouse View Post

first 2 aubergine,both weigh just over 9 ounces​​​​​, hopefully there will be more! If not work out a bit expensive!
    Fantastic - that's just over 250g! Good size and good looking too.

Leave a comment:

• Dorothyrouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    Nobody wants to know I'm going to pick five tonight, all unblemished... Aubergine parmigiana for tea and leftovers cold for lunch tomorrow. To be honest, I actually prefer it cold.

The only care mine get is daily watering and staking to hold up fruit and against wind.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
    That's a lot of aubergine for not much food, Mr B.
    I agree Snoop, I suppose the dish originated in part of the world where they have plenty of aubergines. Was good though.. went great with sourdough flatbreads

Leave a comment:

• Snoop Puss
    replied
    That's a lot of aubergine for not much food, Mr B.

I know you're all going to say "yes, but you live in Spain", but conditions in my part of Spain are really harsh. And last year I disposed of thousands of snails (no exaggeration). The only big difference, I'd say, is that so far I've seen no red spider mite. Famous last words... I know it exists locally because it's a topic of discussion among growers here.

Start them off in a greenhouse and then move them outdoors? Mine don't get knocked back by the really cold temperatures that often finish off the tomato plants towards the end of September. So a spell of cold isn't the end of the world. Maybe the biggest issue would be waterlogging in frequent rains.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X