This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
    Is there such a thing as too many plants? Surely not.
    Hmmm. Maybe.

There is an ongoing "discussion" here at quanglewangle towers regarding the non veggie gardens. Mrs quanglewangle will see a plant, like it, and plonk it in, more or less in any bare patch.

I hate the idea of the 'riot of colour' cottage/pub beer garden style and would rather have an overall design, with muted colours, different textures and heights. I think the Japanese do it right, with restraint.

We've ended up with a 'designed' garden but with some unexplained patches of cottageyness...
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 11-06-2022, 03:55 PM.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• So windy today got really frustrated as kept getting rained on too. Potted on my Jerome cauliflowers into individual pots, weeded around rasps and put grass cuttings as a mulch around my potatoes. Deadheaded lupins which are covered in aphids again, tried to stake my alliums which are flopping over and waiting for rain to go off so I can go back out and plant out rudbekia and echinacea.

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

Hmmm. Maybe.

There is an ongoing "discussion" here at quanglewangle towers regarding the non veggie gardens. Mrs quanglewangle will see a plant, like it, and plonk it in, more or less in any bare patch.

I hate the idea of the 'riot of colour' cottage/pub beer garden style and would rather have an overall design, with muted colours, different textures and heights. I think the Japanese do it right, with restraint.

We've ended up with a 'designed' garden but with some unexplained patches of cottageyness...
        I also have a particular colour palette at the front, whites, pinks and purples. It is cottage style which I try to look natural and relaxed
        but it is actually carefully managed. I am not a fan of bare earth though so don’t like much in the way of gaps. So maybe I am between the two of you!?

Comment

• Potted up the bare root strawberry plants I got cheap in an end-of-season sale.
          Sowed some more basil.
          Dug over the veg patch at home (finally), spread some manure and poultry manure on it, and planted one sweet potato plant. The sweetcorn and leeks will go in soon.

Comment

• Sowed some more beetroot, kale and cauliflower. Potted on a few more tomatoes to their final pots. Fed tomatoes, chillis and strawberries. Added grass cuttings around potato bed.

Comment

• Mulched container potatoes and courgettes with grass clippings.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Planted out 16 black turtle bean plants, two tomato plants, one squash plant, 10 kale plants, and a half of my leeks.

Comment

• Potted up some chitted Swift sweetcorn after the birds destroyed the first lot.
                  Planted up my Gladiolus that had started to grow in their temporary pots.
                  I am so behind this year.
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Planted out one more squash plant and cucumber plant.
                    Strimmed the paths.
                    Weeded the onions.

Comment

• Planted out the rest of my leeks, and a dozen sweetcorn plants in the back garden.

Comment

• Planted some more chitted peas. Not sure what’s been going on with my peas this year, had real problems getting them to germinate in the ground and root trainers. Anyway that’s the last I am putting in, if they don’t come will will use the space for something else. Cleared the garden where the alliums have been growing and left a space so might have accidentally bought an echinacea in Lidl. In my defence it was only about 5 quid and was one of the green/white ones so very pretty.

Comment

• Just fed my GH toms and cucs will be potting up some lettuce later on.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Planted out the other 6 strawberry plants I ordered the other week.
                            Cut back the rather rampant red valerian.
                            Thinned and weeded the big carrot tub.
                            Weeded the soft fruit bed.
                            Cut down the comfrey plants and stuff it into a bag to wilt for a few days, after which I shall use it to mulch my tomatoes.
                            Last edited by ameno; 20-06-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Planted out a dozen Swiss chard plants.

Comment

• Not a great day, pulled all the rest of my beetroot that had bolted and was too small to do anything with and spotted aphids on my broccoli. Kicking myself as realised my sweetcorn is suffering from fertiliser burn as I got a bit carried away when chucking around some growmore. Only small positive was that a few peas are emerging from the most recent sowing - have struggled with pea germination this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X