Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watered my GH toms de arm pitted them again. Tied in cucs and picked sweet peas.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Got 10kg or so of used coffee grounds when I went to town.
      Then later on I pruned my allotment fruit: plum, pear, quince, gooseberry and redcurrant.
      And I finished digging over the patch were I had my onions, and added some poultry manure. It's now ready for the purple sprouting broccoli.

Comment

• I weeded and harvested while MrP mowed the few areas of grass that have grown, its made the 'lawn' look much neater.

Comment

• Pulled up my Telephone peas now the pods are crispy, took down the frame and netting. Weeded the bed and chopped the pea vines adding them to a compost bin.

Comment

• Planted out a gutter of mangetout seedling. Well, I say a gutter... germination was poor, so I only ended up with about 15 plants.
            Also lots of watering.

Comment

• Planted out a dozen purple sprouting broccoli plants.
              Pulled the blighted leaves off my maincrop potatoes (the plants seem to be on their way out now, anyway. Probably the heat).
              Lots of watering.

Comment

• Back from 10 days holidays. The automatic watering system for the greenhouse tomatoes did enough to keep them alive, although a couple of them had fallen over. I think was just just the weight of the fruit. So gave them and the garden a good water. Otherwise most things look ok, apart from some cauliflowers in pots that were looking really sad. Have soaked them and hoping I can save them. Rhubarb was ridiculous so took a bunch and husband made cordial and jam. Started the deadheading and weeding but too hot to do much so will do more today.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Rained for most of the day today, finally. Everything has had a good soaking now and the water butts are full.
                  Instead of the watering I had planned to do, I went around slug hunting instead.

Comment

• Sowed more spring cabbage. I am aiming for at least 8 good plants for the large cloche. I have thrown in the towel on the runner and french beans on the frame. Am just leaving them to dry now. The late sown dwarf beans are doing really well though and have tiny beanlets already.
                    The swede and turnips are up. I wish I had labelled the rows.
                    Sowed spinach and chard with labels.
                    Hand fertilised the Waltham squash’s only female flower. It may or may not have time to mature.
                    Hoed extensively.

Comment

• Lots of weeding and deadheading . Cut back some of the trailing pumpkin and squash as don’t think they will set more now so want them to focus on what we have. Very disappointing this year.

Comment

• A couple days ago I cut all of the potato stems down and put the m on the compost - blight was spreading too much, and they were starting to turn yellow and die, anyway.
                        Today I raked up a load of grass clippings (the strimmer man came yesterday) and used them to mulch my runner beans.

Comment

• I haven’t seen any blight yet this year,maybe because it’s so dry. I mulched my squash & some broccoli with my pile of saved grass cuttings after we had all that rain the other day,I found a big cocoon within the grass pile,maybe a moth? I don’t know,I just left it there,as there’s only one it probably isn’t a pest. The grass hasn’t grown here this month,hasn’t needed mowing but it’s greening up now after that rain. I’m really surprised it survived the drought,the roots aren’t that deep are they

Comment

• Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                            I haven’t seen any blight yet this year,maybe because it’s so dry. I mulched my squash & some broccoli with my pile of saved grass cuttings after we had all that rain the other day,I found a big cocoon within the grass pile,maybe a moth? I don’t know,I just left it there,as there’s only one it probably isn’t a pest. The grass hasn’t grown here this month,hasn’t needed mowing but it’s greening up now after that rain. I’m really surprised it survived the drought,the roots aren’t that deep are they
                            From what I have read grass is remarkably resilient and can recover well after even very dry spells once it gets a bit of rain. Surprised me too.

Comment

• Yesterday I was removing some grape leaves to expose the fruit & there was more fruit hiding I didn't know about,a nice big bunch pruned the forsythia a bit more up a ladder,it’s grown tall but the birds have liked it,problem is,our cat jumps into it (above fence height) it’s near the bird feeders,they see him in there & fly off,I tell him to get down & he does,he’s a good boy but sneaky also pruned the honeysuckle a bit,pruned the lavender & put the old stems under one of the melons like straw. I’ve got a pepper plant right next to my rosemary that hasn’t had any pest on it,the smell of the rosemary must hide it from the moths,the lavender smell should stop any snails.

Comment

• Today I've harvested all my Gartenpearle toms, this is the first time I've grown them and I haven't been overly impressed by their flavour so they've gone into the dehydrator. They're the first thing I've dehydrated, my sacrificial toms if you like. Plan is to turn them into tomato powder.
                                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X