X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet savory
    replied
    Planted out 3 calabrese under cloche on the plot. Also 6 beetroot and 5 celeriac from modules. Thinned my parsnips which was a first for me as I never normally manage to get enough to germinate to have to bother.
    Treated the raised bed with nematodes as part of this years better lettuce plan.
    It rained a little overnight and is forecast for tomorrow too which is good as some direct sown seeds have failed to germinate due to dryness so I can resow today to take advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Yesterday I moved the brassica cage then today, potted on Courgettes, planted out corn salad and mixed lettuce.
    Took out a dead clematis after checking there were no birds nesting.
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 09-05-2022, 06:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Emptied my GH then pressure washed inside and out. Left it a while till the central path dried then put the wooden shelves back on the racking, filling the low one with tools and pots, the tall one will be holding my Tom's until they get planted in the borders in a day or so.
    ​​​​​​Those shelves will be removed and the Tom's will grow through racking.
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 07-05-2022, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Couple more ed cabbage planted out. Also a few peas I had started in the gh. Bought a garlic chive plant and planted it. Dug out and moved a feverfew and spring pea (hideously deep roots). Potted on some tomatoes, almost in final pots and planets trusses plus a few flowers.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Planted out the first red cabbage seedling. Am putting them in gaps left by my cauliflowers as I harvest them. Earthed up potatoes again, first send second earlies all through and the first of the main crop appearing. Planted out sunflowers, zinnia, a dahlia and some cosmos in my cut flower bed.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Dug over about a third of the big bed. Lots of horsetail removed.
    Potted up 11 sweet potato cuttings and a load of sprouted runner beans.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Planted out module sown lettuce into buckets.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Planted out another gutter of mangetout.
    Refilled my pallet compost bin with the contents of the other compost bin, along with half a builders' bag of shreddings and grass, and some other assorted waste.
    Potted up some sprouted runner and French bean seeds.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    I cut our wibbly wobbly hedge. There are too many straight flat topped hedges.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

When would you expect to harvest these?
    If we get a warm May, by the first week of June. If it's a bit cooler, maybe mid-June.
    That's just the first harvest, though, which is usually small. They won't start cropping heavily until late June.
    After that, they'll keep cropping well until at least late October.

I'd really recommend tenderstem broccoli, actually. The seeds a more expensive than normal calabrese broccoli, but it both starts cropping sooner and crops over a much longer period. 12 or so plants is usually enough to give three of us two portions of broccoli a week for over 4 months.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by ameno View Post
    Planted out three tenderstem broccoli plants....
    When would you expect to harvest these?
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 03-05-2022, 05:51 PM. Reason: Spellinggg

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Planted out my potted seed-grown peach tree. Sadly my favourite tree died in its pot (ring-barked by die-back disease), so I had to plant out my back-up instead.
    Planted out three tenderstem broccoli plants.
    Emptied the allotment compost bin and spread it across two of the small beds.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Dug out a large rosemary bush from the bed and put in a pot on the new deck. More space for coriander and basil. Sowed some basil and put it in the prop. Sowed more carrots and some parsnips and covered in the new netting I bought. Sowed some chitted peas direct Planted out some of my red sunflower seedlings.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Planted out pot sown spring onions.

Leave a comment:

• annie8
    replied
    Planted out a row of about 20 beetroot that I had bought as seedlings, earthed up my potatoes, made more blue hoops to cover my carpet bed, did some weeding, potted on some tomatoes, courgette , crown Prince and onion squash, cut back some hellebores that were covered in greenfly as usual.

But mostly I did what I always do at this time of year, stare at my plants, work out how I can squeeze as much into the beds and move things around in the greenhouse, then try to squeeze everything into the cold frame.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X