No announcement yet.

Tomatoes 2021

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Black Cherry toms are developing tiny flower buds they're only 4 inch tall
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I am so disorganised this year as work has been very busy!!!! Only just sown my tomato seeds yesterday!!! They're on top of the night storage heater for now until they germinate then go onto my south-facing living room window where they tend to grow pretty quickly. Once nights are warmer and plants are big enough I put them into my greenhouse on allotment. Not much space this year so I'm only growing six plants, comprising three varieties.

Gardener's Delight
      Tigrella
      Pigeon's Egg (from Heritage Seed Library...how could I resist a name like that!)

We're completely gutting the allotment this year so only got a small greenhouse to grow the tomatoes in and outside a few basics (beans, sweetcorn, salad stuff etc) but next year will have a big polytunnel so looking forward to really growing lots more then
      Last edited by Gillykat; 17-04-2021, 08:43 AM.
      If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

I'm just growing Tumbling Tom Red to go in large pots this year. I bought a seed packet from Wilko and sowed them late March. Half my plants already have flower buds forming and they go outside on sunny warm days.

I'd love to grow more varieties but I'm waiting to have some work done in the area where they usually grow so I'm making do.
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

My tommies are getting rather large and could do with putting their final places, but we are still getting overnight temperatures of around 4 degrees, I think I shall have to bite the bullet and cover them with fleece at night.

Comment

My toms won't be planted out in the GH just yet I'm still getting overnight minus temps
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

If I get more compost at the weekend and get some of the other gh plants out in the beds, I will start putting the tomatoes in the gh during the day. No chance they will stay out overnight here though for a while.

Comment

My tumbling toms are outside in the warm sunshine today. I managed to repair my cheap greenhouse by taping the structure back together. As long as it lasts me another month I'll be happy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210424_085109.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	641.9 KB
ID:	2523441 We have first fruit set on tomatoes Gardener's Delight in the greenhouse beds. Getting overnight lows in greenhouse of about 8°C, which they don't seem to mind.
                  I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

^^ Nice one QW, now I have climate envy Our plants are only about 4 inches tall, after last year turning cold for June we deliberately sowed later this time.
                    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I moved most of my tommies from the conservatory into the greenhouse but inside the blowaway, they've been in that all week, as well as the clear cover, it came with a fleece cover as well, so I put that on at night as well.

Name:	DSC02819.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2523459 I have planted some of them into their final positions and added a cane structure which I hang fleece on at night, did this last year and it worked well.

Name:	DSC02818.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	830.9 KB
ID:	2523460

Comment

^^^ Fleece overnight inside a greenhouse is an underrated technique. With no wind to blow it away it only needs to be quickly draped over susceptible plants
                        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Taken through the glass door as I wasn't letting the cold in.

Name:	DSC02820.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	595.8 KB
ID:	2523492 View of the blowaways one with the fleece top on, I might see if I can get another one of those, brilliant bit of kit. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02821.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	2523493

Comment

Ha Ha .....looks like mine..lol
                            Last edited by Ms-T; 24-04-2021, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I've havnt seen them with fleece too .
                              I need to pot mine on but currently inside on windowledge .
                              Northern England.

Comment

Started the Hokey Cokey. Took them out to gh today, although wasn’t a warm day here and took them in tonight. Forecast is mainly 2/3 degrees this week with a couple of nights at 5and my gh isn’t heated. Have potted them all up apart from green grape which are still in the large modules. Will pot them on now I’ve got more compost but means even more trays to carry. Has been known for me to leave tomatoes out in gh with fleece from a week into May. Doesn’t feel like that will be possible this year, but will see

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X