No announcement yet.

Tomatoes 2021

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a tom or two coming yayyy..Red Robin.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ms-T; 29-04-2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

All my tomatoes potted on. Taking a fair bit of time to go in and out to the gh with them now. However first signs of what will be flower buds on a number of them so all good. Just need the nights to warm up a bit so I can leave them overnight and fleece them. Should have thought about this when I put the gh at the furthest end of the garden.

Comment

Tomatoes on my Red Robin and Maskotka. Lots more with blossom on.
        My greenhouse is also at the bottom of the garden.
        It gets the most sun and shelter there though.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Forecast 7c for us tonight so with the high winds forecast they can stay out in the greenhouse tonight.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

My Tumbling Toms have flowers now, I'm still keeping them on the warm windowsill until the weather warms up, ready for potting out.

I ended up sowing a couple of vine tomatoes too so although I was probably a couple of weeks late, I have seedlings of Galina's Yellow and Red Cherry which are both supposed to be early croppers so hopefully I'll catch up.

I find myself watching videos on YouTube of people's tomato growing from last year in anticipation of a bumper summer haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
              Forecast 7c for us tonight so with the high winds forecast they can stay out in the greenhouse tonight.
              if it was predicting 7 I would leave them with fleece but here it is saying 4 and down to zero in Wed night. Come on weather !
              Last edited by annie8; 03-05-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Just now in my GH its 9.4c my toms are out there for the day I've draped fleece over them incase the temp goes lower then this evening they'll be back in the house.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Repotted my tomatoes from 3cm to 8cm pots.

Comment

I'm a bit worried about my tomatoes - they are growing and growing, now over a foot tall in fairly small pots, but it's too cold for them outside! Some buds starting. They are nicely air pruned, so it's not so bad, and they are still nicely green, but it's not going how i'd like this to be going right now!
                    Last edited by Right Shed Fred; 03-05-2021, 10:14 PM. Reason: Duh, word missing

Comment

Originally posted by Right Shed Fred View Post
                      I'm a bit worried about my tomatoes - they are growing and growing, now over a foot tall in fairly small pots, but it's too cold for them outside! Some buds starting. They are nicely air pruned, so it's not so bad, and they are still nicely green, but it's going how i'd like this to be going right now!
                      Last year I sowed my tomatoes too early, and by the time I planted them out they were 18 inches tall in 9 and 10cm pots. They were moderately potbound, but not too bad. The plants grew just fine and gave a good crop.

Comment

Thanks ameno, that's good to know. They have got so much sun from a massive south facing window they have just boomed!

Comment

With no frost and higher temp forecast last night I put ten of my tomatoes in the greenhouse overnight.
                          They were well fleeced and all survived so I will put out a few more.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm still getting temps below 2 degrees, but by covering with fleece over night, they seem to be growing ok. I have put one plant in a pot out today as a sacrificial plant to see if they will be ok as they get bigger, weather forecast is for temps of 6 degrees overnight, so should be warmer in the greenhouse.

Comment

Interestingly the 6 plants I thought had been killed by the frost are regrowing. The original big leaves are dead, but the plant stem is alive and is regrowing form the axils and in a couple of cases from the top.

I potted up a couple of volunteer seedlings and put them in my conservatory just in case, but they are much smaller of course.

Comment

Right am done with the Hokey Cokey. Weather forecast overnight for next while is only down to 6 so reckon they will be ok In gh with fleece over them. So have repotted them, with most in their next to final pots.
                                Last edited by annie8; 08-05-2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X