Tomatoes 2021

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes 2021

Just been looking at my tommies and thought it would be good to know what everyone is growing, I've got Tigerella, Black Russian, Craigella, British Breakfast, Gardeners Delight and Moneymaker. Some old fashioned favourites and a couple I've not grown before, which carries on my old Dads plan to grow something new every year.
    Maybe later we can compare what are our favourites and what were the disappointment's.

I've got Gardeners Delight & moneymakers this year - worked so well for me last year I thought what was the point of changing! But I have got some F1 Fantasios on the go too, so see what they are like.

Comment

We only grow Gardener's Delight 'cause they work.

This year I've taken off all the branches below the lowest truss.

Got two or three trusses now and some have flowers so we've started the string-pinging routine to polinate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG1617997704642.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2522187
      Open flowers circled.
      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Another experimental year. I'm growing 2 each of 12 varieties (still working my way through the seed swap seeds from two years ago):

Brandywine, Demidov, Urbikany, Chadwick cherry, Indigo cherry drops, Chocolate cherry, Barry's crazy tomato, Roughwood golden plum, Pink boar, Summer cider, Bloody butcher, Blue ambrosia
        Last edited by MelanieSW; 09-04-2021, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I don't have a big enough greenhouse to try stuff out. Everything in there needs to work.

I'm glad some folks do experiment though. I will shamelessly draw on their results.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
            I don't have a big enough greenhouse to try stuff out. Everything in there needs to work.
            No greenhouse, they will have to take their chances on the allotment.
            But with 24 plants there should be enough as it's just me, even if a couple are fails

Comment

Got about 20 in the go - 5 types. Black icicle, green grape are heritage varieties I got originally from forum members then saved seed last year. I love them both. Also gardeners delight that I’ve grown before and Alisa Craig and red cherry that I haven’t. All doing well so far, been pricked out into individual pots/big modules and on a sunny windowsill. It’ll be a while before I start putting them outside at all. They go into the gh, growing outside doesn’t work so well for me here.

Comment

I have three varieties sown, and I plan to grow four plants of each: a Polish beefsteak variety, Mountain Magic, and some F3 seeds derived from Mountain Magic. They're all just starting to germinate.

When I came to sow them I realised that the seeds I had saved myself from last year had gone mouldy (despite the fact that I had thought I had dried them thoroughly before putting them in an envelope), so I sowed fairly generously to compensate. It seems I needn't have bothered. Despite the seeds being mouldy, it looks like all of them have germinated, and I now have a small forest of tomato seedlings.

Comment

As usual I've got too many. Like to grow all sorts so this year I've got these sat in the PT atm..

Cherry....
                  Indigo pear drops X 1
                  Chocolate cherry X 1
                  Ildi X 1
                  Tomatoberry X2
                  Floridity X1
                  Sweet million X2
                  Mountain magic X2

Medium.....
                  San mizano x6
                  Golden plum X1
                  Black russian X2
                  Crimson Crush x4

Large.....
                  Costoluto Fiorentino X 2
                  Berkley tie die 1
                  Purple cherokee X 2
                  F1 beef steak X 2
                  Summer cider 1
                  Last edited by SimpleSimon; 10-04-2021, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Just the usual for me, although they are way behind where they normally are despite being in the house.

Shirley
                    Balconi red
                    Sungold
                    Ferline
                    Oh Happy Day

I have sown the first 2 to grow in the house, sideshoots (if they ever appear) from the Shirley will go in my friend's greenhouse. Sungold and Ferline usually go in the garden and Ferline and Oh Happy Day at the allotment, where I may try Sungold this year as well. I've tried various other varieties but I always end up coming back to these.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I'm growing my old faithful's which are, Black Cherry, Green Zebra, Green Envy, Sungold, Supersweet and Sugargloss.
                      Black Russian, which I never have much luck with.
                      New for me this year, Rosella, Tiger Red, Tigarella, Midnight Snack, Indigo Cherry Drops and Maskotka.
                      Last edited by peanut; 12-04-2021, 06:37 PM.
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I've got:-

Sweet Million
                        Sweet Success*, to see if they are less prone to splitting than the above
                        Super Sauce*
                        Cuor Di Bue*
                        Indigo Cherry Drop*
                        San Marzano

With the asterisked ones, I've got one grown normally and one grafted on to a Protector rootstock to see if there is any advantage in doing so.
                        Last edited by Mark Rand; 10-04-2021, 09:05 AM.
                        Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Just growing some for mum to grow on in her gh this yr (I'm trying to sort rest of my garden)
                          Just:
                          sweet olive's
                          Tiny tim's
                          Northern England.

Comment

I like growing different colours. Hence golden sunrise, rosella and crimson cocktail. I am growing the first 2 as they were
                            free seeds and the 3rd because the crimson crush last year were very productive. We find cherry size work well for us.
                            4 plants of each currently to be honed down to 1 each due to room with the overspill going to a plant sale/friends.
                            I have not grown any of these before although last year the official tomato taster ( I only eat them cooked not raw) said crimson crush was “nice”.

Comment

Sown on 25th Feb.

San Marzano
                              Black Cherry (my favourite tom)
                              Black Russian
                              Gardeners Delight
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse