No announcement yet.

Tomatoes 2021

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got trusses with fruit near to green mature size, and flowers on same truss.

Do folks recommend pruning off these flowers so as to favour the fruits?

Gardener's Delight variety
    ​​​​
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Quantile wangle, No, I never prune off any blossom on my tomato plants.
      I sow them early to get an early crop,
      I cant say I see any benefit to taking flowers off the plant.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Really need to get these toms out into greenhouse. I don't have fleece but do have bubble wrap . Would that be OK? Or should I order some fleece. Just temporary as they are going to my mums greenhouse this week (just need to get them in the car somehow)
        Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
          Really need to get these toms out into greenhouse. I don't have fleece but do have bubble wrap . Would that be OK? Or should I order some fleece. Just temporary as they are going to my mums greenhouse this week (just need to get them in the car somehow)
          I'd say check the weather forecast in your area. If the nighttime temps are around 8 or higher, you should be fine without using fleece.

Comment

Showing 5 and 6 into the week so il aim to move away from here before then . Its warmer where mum is .
            thanks
            Northern England.

Comment

You're very welcome :-) Nick

Comment

I am very lucky with a warmer climate (28C yesterday) my tomatoes have been in the garden for the last 3 weeks, small fruit just appearing but we are expecting thunderstorms high winds 100k plus and hail off and on this week
                Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

My overnight temp is supposed to be a low of 9c so i've left my toms, cucs aubergines and courgettes in the Gh for the first time I'd got fleece so covered them just in case.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Didn't get below 12°C last night without the paraffin heater in No2 greenhouse with the tomatoes in it. It's just gone below that and heading down fairly steeply, but Im hoping it won't go below 9°C tonight. Much better than it has been. Does this mean that April has finally arrived?
                    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Tomatoes are in gh with fleece now and staying there. Also left courgettes and squashes out under the fleece. Was predicting temp of 8 last night.

Comment

Steady 11°C air temperature in greenhouse last night
                        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Is proprietary tomato feed good value?

A well known tomato feed claims approximate NPK of 3-3-6.6 and costs about £8 for 2.5 l
                          However a bag of 13-13-21 from local farmers' coop costs about £15 for 25 kg

By my arithmetic, which is notoriously shaky and you are welcome to check:

4.8 p per g of "good stuff" (ie K) for proprietary feed

or

0.32 p per g of of "good stuff" (ie K) for bagged fertilizer

Just saying...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210509_093725.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	774.1 KB
ID:	2524769

Comment

8.9 deg in my temporary tent around tomatoes ( in gh)
                            Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                              My overnight temp is supposed to be a low of 9c so i've left my toms, cucs aubergines and courgettes in the Gh for the first time I'd got fleece so covered them just in case.
                              GH low was 9.3c so the Metoffice was spot on with last nights temp, tonight they've given a low of 6c.
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                                Is proprietary tomato feed good value?

A well known tomato feed claims approximate NPK of 3-3-6.6 and costs about £8 for 2.5 l
                                However a bag of 13-13-21 from local farmers' coop costs about £15 for 25 kg

There may be important additions such as magnesium and calcium in the proprietary feed, but there may not. The agricultural fertiliser may also have them and if it doesn't, epsom salts and lime are probably also a lot cheaper at the farmers' shop...
                                Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X