Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I did today 2021

Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bren In Pots
    replied
    Staked some of my Sunflowers they'd took a bashing in yesterdays thunderstorm.
    Cut Jerusalem artichokes stems down to 5ft.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Bones
    replied
    Hammered a couple of stakes into the ground and roped the Borlotti frame against blustery winds.

    Leave a comment:


  • FromYorkshiretoBucks
    replied
    Set up some string around cane tripods for the squashes.

    Added some chicken manure "pellets" to the old broad bean bed in prep for adding brassicas.

    Pulled up the random potato plant that had grown from a random spud in leftover compost that I added to the raised bed when I built it last year.

    Leave a comment:


  • ameno
    replied
    Did some squash and watermelon polinating.
    I now have at least 15 squashes set, with plenty more flowers coming. The plants are really taking over.
    The watermelons are finally setting fruit, too. I have three definitely set, and three more which might be. The plants are starting to take over a bit, too.

    I also pruned the akebia, quince, plum and pear.

    ...And then the torrent came. It was an hour straight of torrential rain the like I have never seen before. It was biblical. The path down from the gate was a river, and there was a river running across the plots which occupied the dip across the middle of the site, with everything in those plots under 2-3 inches deep and 30 feet wide of fast-flowing water. Right at the bottom of the site is a communal orchard, which was half underwater. Beyond that is someone's garden, which also seemed to be underwater.
    Mercifully, my plot is up the hill slightly, so was pretty much unharmed. The ones in the dip were rather more damage, though, with large sections of soil gouged out, a railway sleeper and a raise bed had been washed away, as had potato plants and carrots. And the plot nearest the entrance had had fairly large stones and half bricks, not to mention masses of gravel, washed into it. Most of the actual plants seemed surprisingly unharmed, however.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bren In Pots
    replied
    Cut down bolted chard most of it will be going in the freezer.
    Last edited by Bren In Pots; 26-07-2021, 07:28 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • annie8
    replied
    Pulled up the last of the garlic and sowed some carrots in its place.

    Leave a comment:


  • Purple Primrose
    replied
    Planted out 12 kale (Nero di Toscana), 12 calabrese (Marathon), 12 cabbage (Dutchman), 12 cabbage (Savoy) and 8 Chinese Cabbage (Scansie).

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Bones
    replied
    Sprinkled garlic powder over the vacated onion beds (for white rot control) and topped off with a fresh layer of compost mulch.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Bones
    replied
    Lifted the maincrop onions (what a harvest ) and fitted the 5x7m net over the red kale.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Bones
    replied
    Took an early(ish) walk in Clumber park. Was lovely and cool under the trees and not at all busy.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sweet savory
    replied
    Watered the plot at dawn (ish) today. Dug last of spuds there and resowed with phaecelia.
    Noticed a badger had been sniffing around near the sweetcorn so will probably have to write that off this year. It had also launched itself into the raspberries and broken the bottom wire. I didn’t think they particularly went for rasps and there are only 1 or 2 ripe ones as yet anyway. Just hoping it doesn’t get a taste for them
    Also harvested a beetroot and a small purple top turnip and the last of the garlic. And put a tile under the latest squash.

    Leave a comment:


  • ameno
    replied
    Went to the allotment at dawn today, to pollinate the squashes and to slug hunt. Everything was covered in such a thick dew that it was white, and I discovered two tiny patches of blight on my tomatoes.
    I picked off those leaves immediately, and this evening I went down there and sprayed them with potassium bicarbonate solution (it's meant to be somewhat effective at preventing blight infection if applied before symptoms appear, and is about the only thing you can still legally use). You might say that spraying the leaves might encourage blight, but considering how wet they get with dew over night, I can't imagine I could possibly make it any worse.
    Last edited by ameno; 18-07-2021, 10:20 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mr Bones
    replied
    Sewn another length of debris net onto the other pieces. (Used double fishing line and blanket stitch plus a knot every 15mm). Now I have a 7m x 5m cover for the kale.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bren In Pots
    replied
    Now the strawberries have finished and don’t need covering I used that piece of debris netting to cover the final bit of my GH.

    Its 35.5c in there and that’s with louvers, auto vents and door open. Id hate to think how hot it would be with just a door and roof window open.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nicos
    replied
    Cut the front lawns and planted out some Lidl lavender in a pot by the front door.
    Picked some flowers and then hid indoors….too hot for much else outside tbh.

    Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X