• Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Planted 100 garlic cloves.

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Transplanted some winter pansies into tubs on decking and had a bit of a shuffle round of pot positions.

Cut the lawn while it was dry. Got a couple of bags of grass cuttings to use as a mulch on allotment beds.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finished emptying and sifting one of the communal compost bins, and used the contents to finish filling my new pallet bed.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Took out the last of my GH Tom plants, there’s about half a dozen Toms that needs to ripen. Weeded the GH borders then tomorrow I’ll add some Dalek compost.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Broad beans are more or less all there is to do now until garlic goes in on shortest day.

So it's time for a little holiday.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finished building my raised bed thing, lines the sides with plastic, and started filling with. It's about 2/3 full now.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Took out the last of my runner and French bean plants then picked raspberries and Black cherry Tom's in between the showers.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Picked two courgettes on Monday,there’s two tiny ones on the plant still. Picked some tomatoes yesterday,there’s about five plants left on the patio,with a couple of tomatoes on each plant waiting to ripen. I’m wondering about how to protect all my geraniums overwinter,I might make a bubble wrap house for them & the peach tree at the end of the week….

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Brought back four pallets from my work, and set to cutting them up to make a sort of raised bed-cum-planter. I've got two sides done so far, as well as levelling the ground where it's to go.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Shelled some Blauhilde beans I've had drying and picked raspberries not much else it's been raining all day.

Leave a comment:

• peanut
    replied
    Mowed the lawns, last cut of the year? Trimmed all the edges round the veg beds and paths. Also used my little clipper thing to take the tops off the weeds in the Brassica beds. Put in more supports for some Cosmos.
    Admired my Giant Puffball again

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Cleared my achocha plants. They were still going strong, but it turns out I don't have much use for the stuff, and haven't picked any since August, so thought I'd just get rid of it now. I don't dislike the flavour, but it's nothing particularly good, either, and it's a pain to prepare and it's hard to know what meals to use it in. Shan't grow it again, despite how prolific it was.

Also cut some of the long grass on my paths with sheers.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Turned this year's compost (bin 2} into empty bin 3 so it will be ready in the spring. Mrs quanglewangle heroically chopped up the sweetcorn stalks into what will now be the current bin (nr 1)

The glow of virtue is upon us.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Cleared all my squash plants and put them on the compost heap.

Also decided I would tackle the communal compost heap.
    People just keep piling more stuff on top, either things they don't want to compost themselves or from plots which don't have compost bins, but no one seems interest in actually taking any of the compost from it. The three years I've been there, nobody has done anything but add more to the pile.
    So, I decided I'd help myself. I removed the top, unrotted later from one of the bins and dumped it on the other one, then set about sieving the lower layers into my wheelbarrow. There's a lot of soil in the pile, not just compost, so it's more of a loam heap than a compost heap. I sieved out two barrow loads of good loam from it today, and I've only done about 1/5 of one (of two) bin, so there's plenty more to go. Should help fill the new raised beds I'm planning.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Planted my garlic this afternoon.
    Took my potted geraniums into the greenhouse for the winter.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X