X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Cut down asparagus ferns and chopped them into the compost. Planted daffodil bulbs (picked five bags up in a sale )

Leave a comment:

• Purple Primrose
    replied
    Repotted some small hebe plants. Moved some other potted plants into a more sheltered spot. Planted some snakeshead fritillary bulbs.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Pruned the blackcurrants, cut down the autumn raspberries, and thinned the summer raspberries.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I made a little greenhouse for my peach tree & several geraniums,dug out a few Charlotte potatoes,the courgettes are still ok out there (I took two of the flowers off coz they go brown & wet but I leave them on the younger courgettes for a bit)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	78CCE22B-7072-4269-9C43-D182F1C24124.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2536176Click image for larger version

Name:	7F70ACF6-1AF8-4E74-8291-E0E84A5C5061.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	538.9 KB
ID:	2536177

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Uncovered the tender plants at the allotment.
    Also cut down the tomato plants and put them on the compost, along with the huge pile of sweet potato vines I had been leaving to catch a frost (I put them on the compost as soon as I cut them off last year, and I found they were still alive a good couple months later, so this year I decided to try and let them frost kill them off before I compost them ).

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Some cutting back, mulching of roses and clematis, weeding, chopped down some plants ready to dig out and over winter, collected heaps of leaves .

Leave a comment:

• Sweet savory
    replied
    Planted some saved sweet pea seeds, more in hope than expectation. Pulled some leeks, carrots and a celeriac for soup/stew.
    Put a support next to the purple sprouting and removed bottom yellow leaves from brassicas.
    Spread a bag of compost over the no dig part of the plot which I am expanding gradually according to compost availability.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Spent over an hour carefully covering everything tender in preparation for the frosts which may come over the next four nights.
    Last edited by ameno; 02-11-2021, 03:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Purple Primrose
    replied
    Far too wet outside so sowed two trays of salad leaves indoors.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Weeded the kale and broccoli.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Showed broad beans.

I usually dribble a little paraffin over the seeds to put off mice but we didn't ​​​have any so I tried a few drops of Chanel cologne - that should confuse the little blighters.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finished digging up my sweet potatoes, then dug over the whole area and removed all of the bindweed and horsetail I could find.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Weeded the new grape bed, and pulled out some of the excess strawberry runners from it.

Also dug up some of my sweet potato plants, which was a lot of work. Even just cutting the stems off was quite a bit of work. The things are a great tangled mass of vines, probably well over a hundred stems, growing some 2 metres in all directions.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
    Planted 100 garlic cloves.
    No worries about Halloween chez Bones then...

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Today I pulled up half the strawberry bed (it was massive,there’s still loads of plants) & planted out about 50 of the ‘electric’ red onions I bought at the garden centre yesterday,still got around 50 left I might put in a tray or somewhere. Covered the onions with metal greenhouse shelf things to keep cats off. Pruned a bit more of the grape vine,tore the leaves up around the plant & also next to the courgette plant that has three small courgettes growing still. Cut down all the tomato plants & cucumber plants,ate the last tiny cucumber in a sandwich,tomatoes ripening on the windowsill. Also put some fat balls,seeds & mealworms out for the birds,the Robin will love all the exposed soil near to the onions,there’s loads of big worms here. I remember during the summer on a slug hunt in the dark,it was raining & some of the worms that were darting back into the soil were so long but within a second they’d be back underground

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse
  • rary
    Reply to Chitchat thread #24
    by rary
    Today, 12:41 PM
  • rary
    Reply to Heated mat for Tom's and chillies
    by rary
    I use a mix of six scoops of compost three scoops of sand/grit and two scoops of perlite,the quantity is unimportant as long as the ratio is the same, if for seeds I use this mix, if I am potting on I add some blood, fish and bone, along with a small quantity of chicken manure pellets
    ​ though...
    Today, 12:28 PM
  • Florence Fennel
    Reply to Chitchat thread #24
    by Florence Fennel
    Today, 12:02 PM

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X