X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Turned the current compost batch, harvested veg and cultivated my social skills..

Leave a comment:

• Iris_Germany
    replied
    Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
    It's quite normal. I sow mine October or November. See the table on this page

https://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/br.../grow-your-own
    Oh, thanks! I did not know this kind of beans. I thought it was normal beans but this seem to be some sort of special variety. I never have seen such a plant.

So, you sow them in November and then they sleep until spring and then begin to grow, like we do it with garlic?

5 min. later:

(I read the link now. You have to sowe them inside your house and let them stay there over the winter. Well, now I know why it works in October and November ).
    Last edited by Iris_Germany; 23-11-2021, 11:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Iris_Germany View Post

You planted them in November?
    Please tell me how this is possible!
    It's quite normal. I sow mine October or November. See the table on this page

https://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/br.../grow-your-own

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkHackwell View Post
    Planted some Broad Beans ‘Aquadulce’
    More than half of my broad beans Aquadulce, sown in ground 28th October are through now and about 20mm high.

Leave a comment:

• Iris_Germany
    replied
    Originally posted by MarkHackwell View Post
    Planted some Broad Beans ‘Aquadulce’ and Pea ‘Douce Provence’. This is the second batch I have now planted into Roottrainers. The first batch is doing rather well!
    You planted them in November?
    Please tell me how this is possible!

Leave a comment:

• MarkHackwell
    replied
    Planted some Broad Beans ‘Aquadulce’ and Pea ‘Douce Provence’. This is the second batch I have now planted into Roottrainers. The first batch is doing rather well!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Tipped three barrow loads of soil into my new raised bed.
    Wrapped up my pollarded pepper plants to try and overwinter them outdoors: I put three stakes around each one, then pack them with straw and wool, before putting an old compost bag over the top of each one to hold it all in and keep the rain out.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
    Cut down asparagus ferns [...]
    Me too and weeded and munched the rows.

Leave a comment:

• Bren In Pots
    replied
    Filled 3 large bags with leaves I'd raked from the garden, they'll be staying behind the shed for a year or so until they're broken down.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    Dug out a pink geranium & planted it in a pot next to the house for shelter. Then planted Thermidome & Early Purple Wight garlic where it was,next to the blackberry & the plum tree,topped it off with some really old compost to hopefully stop some weeds. Covered with metal shelving & grape vine cut up pieces to keep our cat off. Haven’t grown garlic in this spot before,the grounds really fertile weeds love it there & the moons waning,good time for root vegetables.

Leave a comment:

• Iris_Germany
    replied
    Shooting some pictures for you, so you can see what I am talking about ...

And I had some tulip bulbs which I planted under the small fruit trees on the right side. They are peaches, Queen Victoria plum and little apple trees. Hopefully, the tulips bloom, though they are under the trees and get therefore shade from above.

In automn I did a lot of new beds and things. Now, it rather looks like a mess allover, because I could not finish. The allotment board does not like this. Everything has to be neat at every time.

The big Hügel-Bed is on the left side. It looks like under construction, but I made this to avoid premature erosion. The framework and the tarpe I put away in spring.

My EU-pallet beds have to be replaced by new ones. They are awfully broken and old. I planted garlic in all three beds. Germidour looking good (Mostly. What happened to the row on the left? Vanished, it seems). Messidrome taking their time obviously. Nearly nothing to see. Only here and there a sprout.

And there is the old greenhouse, which I have to repair in spring too.

Last edited by Iris_Germany; 21-11-2021, 07:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Cut down most of my pepper plants and pulled them out, as well as cutting back three of them to a trunk in an attempt to overwinter them outside.
    Ripped up a whole load of creeping bent and lined the bottom of my new raised bed with it, then chucked in the dead weed roots I emptied out yesterday, and the final cut of comfrey.
    Emptied out the pepper containers (apart from the three I'm trying to overwinter) into the raised bed, also.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finished making the raised bed and line the sides with plastic.
    Also took down half of my dead bean plants, and emptied the weed drowning barrel.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Cut up some pallets and made a new raised bed.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Transplanted a few strawberry plants, removed the dead leaves from the brassicas, and collected up a big sack of sycamore leaves.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X