Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband is building a structure for me to grow my squash vertically. By the look of it, will be pretty substantial.

Comment

• Covered my tatties that are just poking through in case there is a bit of frost overnight.

Comment

• The asparagus I planted on 17th April is starting to sprout small spears. The broad beans sown outside two weeks ago have germinated despite the cold. Shallots and garlic recently planted out are doing well. Still no sign of the tatties yet. No sign of my favourite trowel either. I've had it for decades and I noticed it missing after I'd finished planting the asparagus and thought I'd just mislaid it somewhere in the garden (happens frequently). Now I'm beginning to wonder if I accidentally buried it in the asparagus bed along with the crowns.

Comment

• Started fixing down some sheets of black plastic for planting my tender crops through. Done about half of it, I think.

Comment

• A few months ago, my partner suddenly decided to remove the huge rhubarb plant that's been growing next to the septic tank for at least 20 years - he was worried about it trying to grow its roots into the tank and causing damage. By the time I'd gotten home from work and discovered what he'd done, the rhubarb roots had been chopped into lots and lots of small pieces and thrown in a heap to decompose. Yesterday I noticed three of the bits on top of the pile had started growing leaves so I've now got three baby rhubarb plants. I've potted them up temporarily while I find a permanent spot for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Primrose View Post
              A few months ago, my partner suddenly decided to remove the huge rhubarb plant that's been growing next to the septic tank for at least 20 years - he was worried about it trying to grow its roots into the tank and causing damage. By the time I'd gotten home from work and discovered what he'd done, the rhubarb roots had been chopped into lots and lots of small pieces and thrown in a heap to decompose. Yesterday I noticed three of the bits on top of the pile had started growing leaves so I've now got three baby rhubarb plants. I've potted them up temporarily while I find a permanent spot for them.
              Rhubarb crowns are very resilient, as I have found before, too.
              When I replanted my rhubarb the winter before last I removed a few weedy looking bits and threw them on the compost bin. They were basically just a small bud with a tiny bit of root on, but they were still alive when I came to turn the compost bin several months later.
              Last edited by ameno; 08-05-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

• Sowed my peas, beans and squashes. Chitted sweetcorn. Potted on Begonias.
                First night everything is staying out in the greenhouse or blowaway. Such a relief not to have to do the hokey cokey with it all tonight!
                Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by peanut View Post
                  Sowed my peas, beans and squashes. Chitted sweetcorn. Potted on Begonias.
                  First night everything is staying out in the greenhouse or blowaway. Such a relief not to have to do the hokey cokey with it all tonight!
                  absolutely. First night for my tomatoes staying out. Holding off on my chillis and squashes though.

Comment

• Planted out Brussels sprouts and red cabbage seedlings.
                    And sowed a handful of sprouted beans which were a successful kitchen towel germination test of some rather old seeds.

Comment

• Planted my sweetcorn in the greenhouse borders, 14 plants should keep me well stocked for the summer hopefully.

Comment

• Checked the weather forecast earlier: there doesn't seem to be any danger of frost in the next 10 days, and after that it's highly unlikely, so I planted out my runner beans (Scarlet Emperor, red flowers) and climbing French beans (Blue Lake, white flowers), 12 of each, at the bases of six four-cane pyramids, alternating the two varieties around each pyramid for a colour-contrast. Some of the Blue lakes had not appeared, but I planted their fibre pots anyway, in case they appear later I should have sown a few extra of each, to have spares in case of no-shows. Must remember next year.
                        The soil is now wonderfully moist and friable after the recent rain; it was previously dry and lumpy, even after watering with the sprinkler.
                        The weather is lightly overcast but warm, with a light breeze, and the bees have been working hard on my apple-blossom, including the two late-bloomers, which are just starting to open.
                        Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

• Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                          Some of the Blue lakes had not appeared, but I planted their fibre pots anyway, in case they appear later I should have sown a few extra of each, to have spares in case of no-shows. Must remember next year.
                          You could sow them now direct alongside where the other plants are,it’ll give you some later beans.

Comment

• I stuck some of my runner beans out on the patio in a sheltered spot to harden off. Night time temperatures shouldn't drop below 7, so they should be fine, and they were getting rather large in my conservatory (one of the ones growing from last year's tubers which I potted up was already over 3 feet tall).

Comment

• Chilly but not too windy so managed to get some seeds sown: parsnip, beetroot, perpetual spinach, turnip, pak choi and a short row of radishes. Also did a bit of weeding so three more 12ft by 4ft beds are now ready for planting out the peas and broad beans that are currently hardening off.

Comment

• Potted on some Basil plants I'm planning on giving away, weeded and moved plants around. Last job of the evening was to fleece my toms, cucs, courgettes and aubergines because I'm leaving them in the GH tonight the low is supposed to be 9c.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X