This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
    Take a sample of the soil and put it in a jam jar with about twice as much water. Put the lid on and then shake it up well. Let it settle until most of the crud has fallen to the bottom. Now use the meter to measure the pH of the liquid. That's far more accurate.
    If your tap water is anything other than very soft it is important to use distilled water, though. Tap water with any hardness at all will skew results towards alkaline, and rain water will skew results towards acid.

Comment

• Potted on courgettes and carried plants around.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Planted out the tomatoes in the greenhouse beds. Temperature is still getting too low in the night, but the sacrificial plant I had in there all week seems to have survived well and I'll use the old paraffin heater until spring finally arrives.
        Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Got some of toms into final pots , however too cold in gh so they're inside on a windowledge .
          Split and repotted a supermarket basil
          Split 2 other plants
          Potted up few other things
          Moved majority of seedlings that were bigger to greenhouse under protection
          Sowed some more seeds
          Northern England.

Comment

• I have been potting on chillies and peppers in the greenhouse, they are still in the blowaways at night though and the tommies are covered with fleece at night too. Just planted out a tray of peas as the roots are climbing out of the cells, if they do ok, then I'll plant another tray out later in the week.

Comment

• Did the rabbit poo run and built a new heap. Put up wind breaks and battened down the hatches ready for tomorrow.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Dug two sacks of manure into my brassica bed, then planted tenderstem broccoli into half of it, then set up some hoops and covered with debris netting. The other half of the bed will be for kale, once I get around to sowing some.

Comment

• Potted on Kales, cucs and Marjoram.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Well, yesterday - cut 100m of Cornish hedge (actually an earth filled stone wall) along the footpath through our garden. It's full of awful invasive montbretia. Revealed lots of violets underneath
                    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Moved 855l of compost, sorted out long sticks and stuff I've been keeping for climbers, moved plants and pots around in the Aldi blowaway and all before the rain arrived!
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Yesterday
                        Removed an old honeysuckle, replaced with a climbing rose
                        Potted up a patio rose in a tub, thought I'd bought a climber oh well shall buy another
                        Repotted another rose.
                        Planted up hebe, salvia , scabious , verbena and sedum bought and some oriental poppies sown last yr.
                        Removed some primroses from a trough to plant in reas nr tree roots (drier ) and some sweet William. Compost re purposed and troughs had poppies sown into them.
                        Harvested some salad.
                        Northern England.

Comment

• It didn't rain as much as predicted, so I managed to get some repotting done.
                          I repotted 6 of my melon plants, 11 tomato plants, and an agapanthus and jasmine.

Comment

• I played musical pots with cucumber, chilli and pepper plants. Everyone gets a bigger home to move into.
                            Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

• Poured here today from lunchtime so didn’t get out in the garden. Still at least the ground got a decent water after all the dry weather.

Comment

• Checked the wind defences are holding up, topped the potato mounds with more compost in case the next two colder nights spring a surprise frost.
                                Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X