Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planted out spring onions, mizuna and leeks.

Comment

• Sowed basil seeds
      Northern England.

Comment

• Planted out shallots and transplanted some strawberries.

Comment

• Weeded the front path. Potted on my Alisa Craig tomatoes and sowed some more sweetcorn. Germination hasn’t been good this year.

Comment

• Potted up Chard moved other seedling around then weeded and dug up dandelions.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Potted up some sprouted squash seeds.
              Took a huge sack of woody bits from the communal compost pile at the allotment to take home and shred (I have permission).
              Collected a whole load of topsoil, and spread it across the bed at the allotment with the poorest, shallowest topsoil.

Comment

• Weeding and more still to do.
                Northern England.

Comment

• Finished digging the patch for the potatoes.

Comment

• Just got back from gathering compost material from beside local footpaths. Pressed down into a five-gallon brewing bucket, you get quite a lot. I have now filled the bin I was filling, in a few days, so hopefully a hot compost will get going.
                    Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

• Originally posted by StephenH View Post
                      Just got back from gathering compost material from beside local footpaths. Pressed down into a five-gallon brewing bucket, you get quite a lot. I have now filled the bin I was filling, in a few days, so hopefully a hot compost will get going.
                      Hi Stephen, Link below is to a Richard Perkins YouTube vid you might find useful about making hot compost. It explains the Berkeley method quite well, the composting part starts at 2.26 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuN_kbQ1oaA
                      Last edited by Mr Bones; 20-04-2021, 02:08 PM.
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post

Hi Stephen, Link below is to a Richard Perkins YouTube vid you might find useful about making hot compost. It explains the Berkeley method quite well, the composting part starts at 2.26 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuN_kbQ1oaA
                        Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Filled the second compost bin with stuff collected from beside footpaths, plus screwed-up newspaper and cardboard to provide roughage. Weeded veg. beds. I have 12 runner bean seeds and 12 climbing bean seeds in fibre pots, to be planted out in May, but they have yet to germinate. Also collected seeds from hips on my old rose 'Honorine De Brabant', and sowed them, to see what comes up. Rose seeds are notoriously slow to germinate, so I may have to wait. a while. Split a big bag of compost between the two apple trees in the front garden, as a mulch, yesterday. I wish something other than my radishes would appear above ground! I think my onions have died.

Comment

• Turned the current batch of compost and topped the last two remaining beds with finished compost (mulch).
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Just looked out the window and, after weeks of wondering, have finally spotted the creature that has been gnawing at my neeps, digging small holes in my beds, flinging stuff from the compost heap etc... it's a wild rabbit. Given how fat it is, it's been really enjoying my vegetable garden.

Now I need to work out how to get the beastly bunny out of that part of the garden: it's currently hiding in the base of a dry stone wall that it removed a couple of small stones from.Then I need to find some materials to block up the two entrances to that part of the garden to stop it getting back in.

Comment

• Potted on Toms, cucs, courgettes and aubergines. then planted lettuce into 6 different buckets.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X