Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally managed to get some more digging done. I finished digging the main bed, and almost finished digging the extension I planned for that bed.

I also noticed that the purple sprouting and kale are starting to show some pigeon damage, so I netted them. Started in mid-February again, just like last year.

Comment

'Red Baron' onion (left) and rosemary seedlings, which have popped up in the last few days, in the heated propagator (top removed for photo). Thanks for the seeds, GYO!
      https://flic.kr/p/2kCaTDu
      Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Sowed some blanch leeks in an unheated propagator inside a blow away in the greenhouse, removed all the fleece from the containers inside the greenhouse. The strawberries and roses all look to have survived the freeze.

Comment

Have also ordered some potting compost and manure from our local GC, they'll deliver it tomorrow, nearly proper gardening.

Comment

Picked up some timber (will try to build a little grow house this weekend) and pruned the blackcurrant.

Comment

Sowed some Broad Beans in modules in the greenhouse, starting them in the blowaway in case we get a dip in temperature, I know a lot of folk sow in the Autumn, but I have always grown mine this way, two types Aquadulce and Bunyards Exhibition, not grown the last ones before.

Comment

Potted on my two Red Robin and one Balconi Red today
                Sowed another lot of chillis as Justine germinated from the first sowing.
                Sowed dahlias and Echinacea seeds.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Just pricked out the 'Red Baron' onions into fibre pots. The rosemary seedlings need to be a bit bigger before I do them.
                  https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUpyzMe

Comment

Today I did a bit of sawing in the garden,just some dead wood of the flowering currant & stagshorn sumac it was quite thick tho. Also did a bit of pruning of the buddleia & forsythia (& the clematis that I thought I’d already done,usually do it early winter).

Comment

Busy day today. Finally had time to sow:
                      • the last of the sweet peas in toilet roll tubes. The ones sown in pots a few weeks back are looking good.
                      • onion seed (Ailsa Craig and Welsh red) in milk bottle pots. I've not grown onions from seed before so it will be interesting to compare them to the Sturon sets I've got stored in the garage.
                      • leek seed (Musselburgh, Bulgaarse Reuzen-Lincoln, Autumn Giant 2 and Nipper) in milk bottle pots. I've not tried Nipper before. It'll be nice to be able to eat them as early, young leeks. I'd happily eat leeks every day!
                      Also did a bit of weeding to tidy up a couple of beds, spread some compost on another bed and moved the remains of another compost heap to a different part of the garden to finish decomposing. I've decided the spot where the compost heaps were would be ideal for more berries. Not sure yet whether I'm going to go for Loganberries, another Tayberry or a couple more blackberries. Can anyone recommend varieties that cope well with wind? We don't often get frost, so that's not a problem, but the wind can be quite fierce at times. They'll be planted on the south-facing side of a drystone wall.

Comment

Too wet to dig today, so I did a few other jobs.
                        Fed and mulched the asparagus.
                        Weeded, fed and mulched the pear tree.
                        Pulled out last year's tenderstem broccoli plants, and brought them home ready to shred them (too woody to go straight on the compost).

Comment

Just been in the back garden, starting to dig my second deep bed (of four planned). The ground is drying out nicely, and becoming more diggable, but is full of raspberry roots, which need to be dug out. I think planting 'Allgold' there some years ago was a mistake: razzes spread like billy-o.

Comment

Got 3 bulk bags of compost to top up my raised beds delivered. Will get to that at the weekend.

Comment

Yesterday I finished expanding the big bed, and then re-edged it with tiles.

Today I started digging over the bed I'll be planting my potatoes in.

Comment

Originally posted by annie8 View Post
                                Got 3 bulk bags of compost to top up my raised beds delivered. Will get to that at the weekend.
                                Started loading it onto the wheelbarrow and taking it through the garage to the back. Managed about 15 loads but that is only about half a bag. Loads more to do

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X