X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghexton View Post
    Penellype Hope things are well.
    Whats august like? heat wave? i hope.
    Think there is some big tropical storms over the other side of the pond.
    All ok thanks, although I got pretty scared of the thunderstorm we had on Friday evening. There was a huge flash of lightning, which I think caused this (about a mile from me): https://www.minsterfm.com/news/local...g-strike-fire/

The next few days look pleasant enough - coolish but mostly fine, with some scattered showers - risk increases the further north and west you are. High pressure is forecast to build over Scandinavia by Thursday/Friday which will again draw up some very hot air from the south. There is some uncertainty about how long this lasts so further into August could stay warm/hot and dry or turn more unsettled and cooler, depending which models are correct (if any). Whether this has anything to do with the increased hurricane activity I'm not sure, but my feeling is that we are looking at a warmer and drier August (at least the first half of it) than we had in July. However, if it gets very hot there is always the chance of big thunderstorms which can dump a load of rain in a very short time...
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Nicos posted this on the old thread (which is closed so I can't answer there):
      • Today, 01:31 AM
        Looks like we're having a bit of a heatwave in northern France. Any idea how long it might last Pen?
      It all seems rather uncertain at the moment, although current thinking is that the heat will stick around in the south of the UK (and in France) through to around Wednesday, possibly longer. Things will become increasingly thundery through next week as low pressure moves north - this definitely includes France. The current GFS charts imply the Scandinavian high which is causing the heatwave will weaken by next weekend, allowing cooler upper air temperatures to move further east. Whether this will affect surface temperatures in France I don't know - if it has got very hot and the wind remains easterly it may just increase the thunderstorm risk.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Ah...well spotted Pen!

Thanks for that....Looks like I'm going to have to top up some of our water storage with tap water then. Hate doing that but needs must.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well, today was supposed to be dry according to all the forecasts I have seen. So what's this then?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dry - I think not..jpg
Views:	387
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	2506204

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
            Ah...well spotted Pen!

Thanks for that....Looks like I'm going to have to top up some of our water storage with tap water then. Hate doing that but needs must.
            You may not have to do that if you get storms - flooding could be a problem instead!

Comment

Amber warning now for thunderstorms in the west this evening. There are thunderstorm warnings now for parts of the UK until Monday.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ce/uk-warnings

Comment

Ahh, just found the new thread. Phew!

Comment

No shortage of rain now, having had a bit too much heat!

Comment

For those sick of the humid, sticky, thundery weather we have had for the last week or so, a change is on the way. On Wednesday into Thursday a very deep (for the time of year) low pressure system containing the remains of tropical storm Kyle will move in, introducing wet and windy weather, and eventually freshening things up. We will then move into a more Atlantic driven pattern - cooler, changeable and less thundery, which at present looks likely to persist for the foreseeable future.

In the meantime, weather warnings for thunderstorms and potentially torrential downpours remain in force for much of England and Wales.
                    Last edited by Penellype; 17-08-2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Thanks P

Blast, I was hoping for a bit more sun now. Oh well, maybe in September...

On an unrelated note, I don't seem to get email notifications of new posts on topics I follow / comment on any more. Something to do with the new site software perhaps. Do any of the mods know anything about this?
                      Last edited by Mr Bones; 02-08-2022, 06:16 AM. Reason: Mod edit - choice of phrase

Comment

Answered my own question. Software update seems to have turned off auto subscription to topics.

Comment

Some very windy weather on the way for the next couple of days, with a yellow warning in parts of the west, although it will be windy everywhere. This is due to an unusually deep area of low pressure moving up the Irish sea. Make sure garden furniture etc is secure.

Comment

Just to add to the previous post, there is an amber warning for the south and west of Ireland. https://www.met.ie/warnings

Comment

Wind looks like being the big issue hereabouts. Looking at the fully grown bean canes it's a basic sail. Might need some additional, sturdier, restraint.

Comment

Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
                                Wind looks like being the big issue hereabouts. Looking at the fully grown bean canes it's a basic sail. Might need some additional, sturdier, restraint.
                                Yes, beans seem to do that - the standard bamboo canes are never strong enough if you get a proper gale.

The warning for wind has been upgraded to red in parts of southern Ireland. Stay safe if you live there.
                                Last edited by Penellype; 19-08-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X