X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quanglewangle
    replied
    All over by 02:00 here. Not that I got up to look, but the noise stopped.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Wind getting up here

I found this map which shows the eye of the storm almost over your house Q…

Click image for larger version  Name:	4C7C9D42-BD25-4EA2-83EB-DC17B51938A6.png Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	2530351

Keep those red shoes to hand just in case!

Keep safe everyone - hope there’s not too much damage.
    Last edited by Nicos; 30-07-2021, 12:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Wind is getting up here in the far southwest.

My wind guage is broken but I reckon it is currently F7, half gale, maybe 30kts. Just south of west. Luckily we have a hill with a 50m rise 400m in that direction, which takes some of the sting out of it.

Expecting F8, gale later. Should be gone by morning though.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Ok - thanks for the warning Pen.

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    It is getting a bit draughty here in the east midlands.
    It has pushed many of three squash leaves over allowing the sun in to ripen the fruits.
    It has come at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Met Office amber and yellow wind warnings for parts of the south west over night and into tomorrow from storm Evert. Even outside the warning area it will be a lot more windy than most of us have been used to, so make sure garden furniture, trampolines etc are anchored and plants are well tied in.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    The met office have released various warnings (yellow and amber) for thunderstorms and heavy rain. These tend to be rather short notice as the situation develops, so it is a good idea to keep an eye on the met office at the moment.

Current amber warnings are for Scotland from today to Thursday, but there is a yellow thunderstorm warning for today and tomorrow covering much of the country from the midlands northwards.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post

That's called virga that is, precipitation that falls but doesn't reach the ground. I believe that is possibly the most useless piece of information that resides in my head but it is the 2nd time I have been able to use it, the first being my daughter's GCSE Geography homework when she had to do a meteorological word for each letter of the alphabet, that was the only 'v' I could think of.....

Could do with a drop of rain and I almost never say that from the north-west. I'm just about through the 1,100 litres of rainwater collected earlier in the year.
    Yes, virga, or fallstreaks, are the grey streaks that you sometimes see under clouds but not falling as far as the ground.

More useless information - that smell you get when rain falls on dry ground is called petrichor.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    ^^^^ interesting!…you learn something every day on here

We didn’t notice any virga ( first time I’ve used that word) but instead a massive thunderstorm with hailstones….fantastically exciting!

And yup , it’s heading North

Leave a comment:

• Chippy Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Penellype View Post
    most of the small stuff will evaporate on the way down.
    That's called virga that is, precipitation that falls but doesn't reach the ground. I believe that is possibly the most useless piece of information that resides in my head but it is the 2nd time I have been able to use it, the first being my daughter's GCSE Geography homework when she had to do a meteorological word for each letter of the alphabet, that was the only 'v' I could think of.....

Could do with a drop of rain and I almost never say that from the north-west. I'm just about through the 1,100 litres of rainwater collected earlier in the year.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    We got a few of those massive drops of rain this afternoon. Sploshes the size of a 50p coin!

I got all excited for a moment…who would have thought I’d be excited at the prospect of more rain a few weeks ago!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Thanks Pen, that's interesting about rain evaporating on the way down. I had no idea it could happen .. the things you learn on a gardening forum

Leave a comment:

• Plot70
    replied
    I did get a report of heavy rain several miles away but just not locally.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Thanks Pen - much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    All change over the weekend as thunderstorms and more general rain move up from the south introducing cooler weather. The remainder of July looks much more unsettled with temperatures sliding to possibly a little below average by the start of August. I think we will look back on this hot spell as being "summer" for 2021 as there is little sign at the moment of anything dry and warm coming up. Things can change quite quickly though, so as always nothing is certain, particularly beyond 5 days.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X