Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today I harvested 2020

Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The last of my courgettes and cucs some were small but were starting to go at the ends.

    Comment


    • Carrots from the raised bed and a butternut squash from the greenhouse.
      If I'm not on here, I'm probably fishing.

      Comment


      • Picked the last of my tomatoes and cut down the plants.
        Lots of sweet peppers and chillis also harvested and a few more to come.

        And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

        Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

        Comment


        • Cleared my tomatoes too. Very few green tomatoes left so guess that is a good result. A cucumber and yet more raspberries.
          Last edited by annie8; 10-10-2020, 04:57 PM.

          Comment


          • French beans
            Tenderstem broccoli
            A load of peppers
            Some underripe tomatoes to ripen at home
            A beetroot

            Comment


            • Picked the remaining apples from our two trees, a tray of Toms, runner beans, kale, carrots and some raspberries.

              Comment


              • Cayenne chilli and more raspberries.

                Comment


                • About 50 plus pounds of Beauregard sweet potatoes from 5 plants. 4 of them were grown in a hot bed, the fifth was planted out in the open a fortnight or so later. Massive difference in how they performed. the main bunch on the hotbed ones contained tubers that were bigger than your average shop variety, whereas the open ground ones were about half the size of a supermarket one, but still worthwhile. Lots of decent sized secondary tubers from the hotbed ones too, plus numerous tiddlers which may or may not be eaten or feature in germination experimentation this autumn/winter.

                  Sorry about the lack of picture. It won't allow me to upload from my phone and I can't be arsed with saving and editing to my computer.



                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
                    About 50 plus pounds of Beauregard sweet potatoes from 5 plants. 4 of them were grown in a hot bed, the fifth was planted out in the open a fortnight or so later. Massive difference in how they performed. the main bunch on the hotbed ones contained tubers that were bigger than your average shop variety, whereas the open ground ones were about half the size of a supermarket one, but still worthwhile. Lots of decent sized secondary tubers from the hotbed ones too, plus numerous tiddlers which may or may not be eaten or feature in germination experimentation this autumn/winter.

                    Sorry about the lack of picture. It won't allow me to upload from my phone and I can't be arsed with saving and editing to my computer.


                    That's very impressive. I'm hoping for maybe half that from 13 plants. Although admittedly mine aren't being grown in a hot bed and its not as warm here as it is where you are.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ameno View Post

                      That's very impressive. I'm hoping for maybe half that from 13 plants. Although admittedly mine aren't being grown in a hot bed and its not as warm here as it is where you are.
                      Good luck with your harvest, you may be pleasantly surprised too!

                      How do you go about curing yours? Most info I can find says 85F (29C) and 80% humidity for 10 days, which I don't see how I can provide for the amount I have. I've picked the best ones and put them in my propagator with a heat mat underneath, so they should be somewhere near that. The rest are currently taking their chances laid out in the unheated greenhouse with outdoor temperatures around 14 day and 9 at night.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bonjour View Post

                        Good luck with your harvest, you may be pleasantly surprised too!

                        How do you go about curing yours? Most info I can find says 85F (29C) and 80% humidity for 10 days, which I don't see how I can provide for the amount I have. I've picked the best ones and put them in my propagator with a heat mat underneath, so they should be somewhere near that. The rest are currently taking their chances laid out in the unheated greenhouse with outdoor temperatures around 14 day and 9 at night.
                        I grew three plants outdoors through black plastic last year, and got 5kg between them. That's about the yield I'm hoping for this time, although more would be a bonus.
                        I'll be digging the outdoor ones at the end of October. I have three in large pots in my conservatory, which I shall probably leave until late November.

                        As for curing, I've grown them for three years now (although never in this quantity), and every year I have just laid them out in a single layer in trays in my kitchen, on top of the kitchen cupboards... and just left them there.
                        The small ones last a couple months before they start shrivelling up (although they never rot), so use those first, and the larger ones (even ones with spade wounds where I dug them up) lasted firm and unblemished (although they did begin to sprout) until I used the last of them in March.
                        My kitchen probably matches the humidity requirements, but obviously temperatures are more like 21c than 29c.
                        It shows you don't have to worry too much about matching the "ideal" temperature, though. I think the important thing is to store them somewhere humid and at room temperature. They are a tropical crop, after all, so cool temperatures like an outhouse or a fridge will only encourage the tubers to rot.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ameno View Post

                          I grew three plants outdoors through black plastic last year, and got 5kg between them. That's about the yield I'm hoping for this time, although more would be a bonus.
                          I'll be digging the outdoor ones at the end of October. I have three in large pots in my conservatory, which I shall probably leave until late November.

                          As for curing, I've grown them for three years now (although never in this quantity), and every year I have just laid them out in a single layer in trays in my kitchen, on top of the kitchen cupboards... and just left them there.
                          The small ones last a couple months before they start shrivelling up (although they never rot), so use those first, and the larger ones (even ones with spade wounds where I dug them up) lasted firm and unblemished (although they did begin to sprout) until I used the last of them in March.
                          My kitchen probably matches the humidity requirements, but obviously temperatures are more like 21c than 29c.
                          It shows you don't have to worry too much about matching the "ideal" temperature, though. I think the important thing is to store them somewhere humid and at room temperature. They are a tropical crop, after all, so cool temperatures like an outhouse or a fridge will only encourage the tubers to rot.
                          Many thanks Ameno. Good tip about using the small ones first. we'll also use up the few we broke the ends off quite quickly too. I'll shove them up on top of the kitchen cupboards for a week or two to cure then. I believe they are best stored cool and dark after the curing stage, so they'll be wrapped in newspaper in cardboard boxes in the spare room.

                          Comment


                          • French beans
                            A kilogram of peppers
                            All of the remaining outdoor tomatoes (most are at least starting to change colour; I shall ripen them indoors)
                            More beans for drying
                            Autumn rhubarb (accidentally pulled the growing point out with one of the stalks. That's the third time I've done that now).

                            Comment


                            • Yesterday I picked, toms, raspberries, parsnips, carrots, kale and runner beans.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Nicos
                                plus a tiny watermelon the size of my fist. Strangely the flesh was very edible.
                                Also a tiny melon...again a couple of heaped tablespoons of delish yellow flesh.
                                Deffo not worth all the watering over the summer.
                                You did better than me. I had two tiny goose egg-sized watermelons.
                                They were quite edible and tasty, though, just as you found.

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Recent Blog Posts

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X