No announcement yet.

2019 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am actually quite impressed with these trombas, much better flavour/texture than courgettes, they don't have that slightly bitter aftertaste like courgettes either, in fact i'd say they almost have a slight melon taste to them, they make fantastic courgetti as well, (torgetti?)

I'll defo be growing these again next year, I will have a couple of early plants in the greenhouse also, they will probably take over in there though lol, They also seem to be resistant to powdery mildew (touch wood), My goji is the same bed the trombas are in, and its covered in mildew, but the trombas are fine, I really must get rid of that goji this year

Comment

• They turn even sweeter as they mature, Urban, and go really orange inside. I'm so disappointed that mine haven't done better this year. They were a staple for dinner last year!
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
        They turn even sweeter as they mature, Urban, and go really orange inside. I'm so disappointed that mine haven't done better this year. They were a staple for dinner last year!
        Yeah I think I put mine out to early, and that bad weather we had in may/early june really stunted them, they have only just started producing, I wont plant out till early june next year, and a couple are staying in the greenhouse, I'm going to start all my squash seeds off in bigger pots next year also, so they can get off to a really good start, and not have to worry so much about getting them planted out

Comment

• Good plan Urban! Play it by ear when you plant out - it was so much colder even in May this year if you compare with last year. I'm learning the same lessons! I am still hoping for some trombos to pick

Comment

• My outside tromboncino is starting to look promising.

Click image for larger version

Name:	372E0E97-187F-49DB-9FD8-FF68D3BCB78C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2385073

Comment

• I have one good one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88549[/ATTACHnot good out of five plants .
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ms-T; 22-08-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• For tea this evening I had a couple of small trombos baked along with beetroot and they were nice to taste and as there are several still left and though small I think I will make some soup with them for freezing as I think the nights are going to get cooler soon so they will stop growing
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Has anyone successfully kept the tromboncino over winter like a winter squash? I read that you need to keep them on the vine until they turn tan like a butternut squash. Unfortunately I've cut two large ones today which are still green and was wondering if they will keep.

Comment

• They need to mature on the vine I think - I left two on the vine until long into September last year if I remember correctly. They turn the same colour as a butternut squash when they're mature, and at that point they will store all winter. They turn a gorgeous pink inside when mature, and so sweet, like a melon The peel is a bit tough at this point though, so I peel them before cubing and putting into anything I cook

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_153949-2016x1512.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2385121
                      These two were stored last year. The green one didnt last as long, so I used that before Christmas. The other one showed no signs of deterioration and I think I used it in February.

Comment

• I had a big one last year and I think I pulled it while it was green and stored it inside then used it over Christmas and new year
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

• Thanks both that's really helpful. Courgette glut at the moment so it would be nice to be able to eat them later

Comment

• Had a look through all the foliage today to see what's there, one I had to cut free as it was getting choked by the mesh

Name:	IMG_20190827_110607_hdr.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2385134
                            which has restricted it a bit as it has been kept narrow then the head swells out, also a couple of groups of a trombosClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190827_110735_hdr.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2385135

Name:	IMG_20190827_110638_hdr.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	2385136
                            but sadly I don't have a big one this year

Comment

• Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]88604[/ATTACH]
                              These two were stored last year. The green one didnt last as long, so I used that before Christmas. The other one showed no signs of deterioration and I think I used it in February.
                              Handy to know for next year Mine were an utter disaster this year as a bird got into the greenhouse through a broken pane and must have panicked and knocked a load of my precious seedlings onto the floor and, I assume, a mouse or vole snaffled them cos I never did find the actual seedling to repot!

Can you keep seeds from the ones you store ok? Or is it a case of buying in fresh each year?
                              If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

• I saved seeds last year from the one that I stored long into this year, but they weren't nearly as successful in either germinating or growing as those that I bought fresh this year. So, although not at all scientific, and despite not growing any other courgettes or squashes nearby (but I did grow cucumber nearby last year - could that maybe be a reason for cross pollination?), I personally won't save their seeds again. At least not this year... lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X