2019 Tromba Competition

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Rary,

Only 1 of the 3 plants I have seems to be putting on any real type of growth compared to last year, and a lot of fruit are failing. That said I do have a few doing well and have continued hope for more.
    V.P.
    The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

• United Colours of Trombocino

Couldn't wait, picked these to encourage the plants to grow more...
      They all came from the same packet, but I find they all come in slightly different shades. The more yellow one will be kept and cooked as a squash. The very funny shaped one will be eaten first, (like a courgette) because the seed end hasn't formed properly and is slightly soft so will not keep.

75cl bottle for scale. I use it for cooking, honest.
      Attached Files
      V.P.
      The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

• I have one trombo, approximately 4cm long......
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

• You lucky bunch I’ve got flowers forming but then not actually opening, plants were growing bigger but thay seem to be at a standstill... must learn patience!!
          I think my trombas are naughty teases!!

Comment

• Don't think I'll be getting any trombas this year. Plants are big. But every time I get a few setting. We get a cold wet period and they rot off. Next batch of flowers I'll try and hand pollinate them. Think I'll try growing them in the greenhouse next year

On another note. Market more 76 cucumber grows amazingly well in the greenhouse. Probably doing better than the f1 cucumbers I've grown in there before

Comment

• Well mine have had female flowers that never opened I’ve now got my first male flower but it’s climbed to the top of my frame and starting to go up the Apple tree

Comment

• I've got two plants that are growing now, but they're only a couple of foot long - the plants that is. No fruits yet. Just one fruit on courgettes and one squash. Unbelievably bad year for squashes and courgettes.
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

• I've got 2 plants on a wigwam but they're only up to waist-high, they've not liked this year's weather much. One Tromba had set at ground level and as I've had very few courgettes to eat, I cut the squash before the slugs started on it

Comment

• seems like a few having the same trouble, I'll defo try a couple of plants in the greenhouse next year

Comment

• I've actually got a decent fruit on one of mine, and the vine is well away.

It's been a great year for courgettes and so far squashes up here. But I'm not sure they pumpkins set early enough for ripening. We'll see.

Comment

• I may have made a huge mistake :-\

I planted a few spare seeds in addition to the 3 that I wanted. Most germinated, and since I had space in the allotment, I planted all 5 plants. Thankfully, 1 died. I say 'thankfully' because the remaining 4 are wearing me out with the number of fruit they produce! I've been giving them away

The number I posted in the updates thread is based on the trombos I picked last week. I haven't had the courage to go and see where we're at this week. I shall go later today, and I am worried I'll come back with a carrybag full.

Comment

• I've actually got a few trombas set. Going to have one today I think. Spiralised as spegetti with some bolognase sauce

Comment

• This might be as good as it gets this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31C387A1-D236-44CA-B9A5-1F20E47E1051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	2385003

I’ve got a few more coming on, which aren’t trying to grow into the floor. So hopefully if I get another good sized one it won’t be short & fat.

Comment

• Had a look at my plants today and it is just a jungle last week before going on holiday they seemed to be a bit orderly,growing up the mesh support and a tomato plant in the middle of the bed which is 3ft. square and was looking ok today you can't see the tomato plant as the trombone came off the supporting mesh and I am not sure whither they were blown off by gusting winds or driven off with heavy rain, though when looking through the tangle I did see some trombo's not very big nor thick about 1ft. in length and curled but enough to give a couple of pots of soup which I suppose I should be grateful for, so as the night temperatures are dropping, 8c last night I think I will be pulling all the trombos and composting the plant and I doubt if I will grow any next year, well not outside anyway, I have a cucumber in the greenhouse with five or six cucs. on it and we have had five off it already and if they can grow as well as that when I haven't really bothered with them,( the family like them, I dont) just think what I could get from something I like and look after so I will need to tell the old yin to put my name down for next year
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• My trombos, two out of all them plants, are finally growing. I have one actual fruit of about one foot now, but very slim. So much for trombo overload this year. Just goes to show what the consistent heat did for us last year!
                                Next year I'll have some in the tunnel
                                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X