This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
    I am picking them too early. Will wait until they turn more orangey to pass final judgement
    I think tomatoes should be very ripe when picked. I like them to "give" a little when squeezed.

Comment

Yep, I usually do the squeeze test but also am a bit impatient. The multi-coloured toms I generally find harder to judge in ripeness.

Comment

Black and Brown Boar

Another aggressive grower bred by wild boar farms and said to have been found in a row of "zebra" toms. Burgundy and green! Looks fab.
        The stems are very thick. I've grown this with two stems, both are really strong and have large clusters of 4 or 5 fruits per truss. Toms are very large. I've grown this several times before but this year I have more fruit as I've trained the two stems.
        Really rich meaty flavour.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A9768909-D61E-4A9A-B8F2-D056C22CA0EB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	2384791
        Last edited by Scarlet; 01-08-2019, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Berkeley Tie-Dye

Another wild boar farm tomato.

I've not tasted this yet.....some have been eaten before I got to taste. Son says it's meaty and was a shame to eat in a sandwich!
          These are larger than the black and brown boar but look very similar...these just have a more vibrant colour - similar markings

Name:	5D7318D5-9398-4CE0-A5E2-94666D662E26.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2384793
          Last edited by Scarlet; 31-07-2019, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Is that the same as Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye? It's been one of my favourites so far this year. Looks beautiful too. One of the first 'black' tomatoes I've ever had apart from Black Cherry.

Comment

Originally posted by toomanytommytoes View Post
              Is that the same as Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye?
              Interesting that you asked that! I've just been g@@gling the same question. I got the seed from Sparrow in the Tom circle....will check it out tomorrow. I didn't write pink on the label but that may because the name is long!

I've never grown this one before.
              (I've grown black and brown boar several times but I find it doesn't produce many toms for the size of the plant - that's why I've trained two stems.)
              But I love black tomatoes...I'm not a lover of those overly sweet ones ( I'm not a sungold fan) have you tried black icicle?

Comment

See, I knew there was a reason I shouldn't like you lot, (not really )
                But now I have a major problem from reading all this.
                I NEED A BIGGER GARDEN!
                I am already growing 10 types of toms, and even if I keep the 5 I really like I only really have room for 3 of the above suggestions. Otherwise bed and rotation plans are out the window. And that is just with tomatoes! (next will be, cucumbers, courgettes and collards...)
                V.P.
                The thing I grow best are very large slugs!

Comment

Well if I was only growing one large black tomato variety it would be black icicle all the way. "Beefsteak" varieties often only have a few fruit per truss. Black icicle has loads - though looks like a plum - is fabulous to eat fresh. They get lots of fruit compared to the other ones I've grown.

Name:	B50A688F-DAD9-4D66-BE36-4B0A2DD7F55D.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2384811
                  This truss is over 5ft up the stem....so still fruiting strongly.
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 01-08-2019, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Summer Cider, Pantano, Black Icicle, Berkeley tie dye, Blush
                    have made the want to try list list, below are the list of toms I am growing this year and will have to decide what ones will be cut from next year

Sweet Aperitif- first to ripen and keeps me in sweet cherry toms all summer (keeper)
                    Sungold- I know some of you don't like overly sweet toms but this works for me (keeper)
                    Idli- the yellow tom of the mixed coloured little uns. Massive trusses (keeper)
                    Red pear- free seeds which is why they got grown, good yield, later than the cherries, not as sweet so good when in a mixed tom salad with the rest. (Lose)
                    Chocolate cherry- first year, looks like a good amount on trusses, none ripe yet to taste test. (?)
                    Big Mama 4- large cooking plum, good yield, awaiting taste test (possible keeper)
                    San Marzano, first year, not very many trusses/toms set, none ripe yet to taste test. (lose)
                    Marmande- Grown the last 3 years, will have to make way for one of the above (lose)
                    ? another large marmande type for salads and slicing. Has a reasonable yields and more pink in appearance will be taste testing today for lunch (possible keeper)
                    V.P.

Comment

You could join the tomato seed circle if you fancy saving seed?

Comment

Originally posted by Vegi potager View Post
                        ? another large marmande type for salads and slicing. Has a reasonable yields and more pink in appearance will be taste testing today for lunch (possible keeper)
                        It is Cour di Bue. will try to post a picture but it keeps failing to load...
                        V.P.

Comment

Maskotka

Not a very exotic variety i'm afraid, but I'm a bit limited as to what I can grow up here!

Maskotka, a good bush type tom, great for hanging baskets, not as prolific as Tumbler, but slightly larger fruit and better flavour.

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2384813
                          Last edited by bario1; 01-08-2019, 09:51 AM.
                          He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Vegi potager View Post
                            It is Cour di Bue. will try to post a picture but it keeps failing to load...
                            Your photos are too large - you can upload to this photo resizer and save back to your phone/computer and then try again - honestly sound like a long process but takes seconds.

https://tinypng.com/

Crop it to reduce file size or email to yourself and this will also reduce image size.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Scarlet,

Cour di bue, not particularly attractive and have to cut a few bits out but very tasty in a salad with red onion, olive oil, vinegar, S&P and basil

Have just under a kilo of mixed cherries, they will be slow roasted in the oven with plenty of garlic and olive oil for pasta. (Freezes well like this.)

Name:	gottaeatallthese (2).jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2384829
                              Last edited by Vegi potager; 01-08-2019, 08:26 PM.
                              V.P.

Comment

Gardeners Delight

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                                Not a very exotic variety i'm afraid, but I'm a bit limited as to what I can grow up here
                                Haha! I grow lots of the unexotic too! They just don't look so good in a photo ( Those varieties are always welcome in our seed circle??)

Gardeners delight is a must grow. Taste is sweet, grows well and has tons of fruit - my staple tomato

Photo is a bit muddled cos I've got a dahlia growing accidentally up through it and I want to keep the tuber

Name:	1606542D-EAC6-4E80-874D-7000F5F6D530.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	2384851
                                Last edited by Scarlet; 02-08-2019, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X