• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	824CDBF2-2BFE-4EE5-A9CA-963103E18681.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	2385196
    An assortment of tomatoes I’ve just picked.
    German red Strawberry - mediocre flavour, bit mushy, poor crop.
    Violet Jasper - lovely to look at (I think), good flavour but thick chewy skins.
    Black icicle - good flavour, good crop, huge variation in size of fruit. (Going in seed circle)
    Berkeley Tie Dye - misshapen fruits, good crop, lovely flavour. Seed (only two) provided by Scarlet after a pleading email. Thank you Scarlet. Both seeds germinated and produced plants, so only two were needed.
    Sungold - own saved seed from last year. Good as always, loads of fruit, lovely flavour, nice to look at - but Sunbaby is a close contender.

Comment

Originally posted by farendwoman View Post
      Black icicle - good flavour, good crop, huge variation in size of fruit.
      Fruit size may have something to do with this years growing conditions? Mine have all been a good size.
      I grow violet jasper, they are thicker skinned than your average Tom but I like that and the flavour is fab ( for me anyway!)

Berkeley Tie Dye - misshapen fruits, good crop, lovely flavour. Seed (only two) provided by Scarlet after a pleading email. Thank you Scarlet. Both seeds germinated and produced plants, so only two were needed.
      I grew one and then took cuttings to save seed! I will be sharing seed in the circle of this. I think the taste is exceptional. Fruit size varied for me.

Comment

Seedless green grape

VC, did you grow this?
        I'm not sure I would grow it again? I don't know when it is ripe and it's so bland.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Seedless green grape

VC, did you grow this?
          I'm not sure I would grow it again? I don't know when it is ripe and it's so bland.
          I’ve got one of these going .... none ripe yet - and not many on the plant.
          I’m with you Scarlet - unlikely to bother with this one again.
          But it’s fun trying something different.

Comment

Even if you think it isn't ripe - taste it. I think I left some of mine too long.

Comment

Do you want to join our tomato seed circle?
              In case that's for me - would love to ��, though haven't got that much exciting stuff to offer this year.

Besides the sun baby, growing some of the usual suspects.
              Latah (great last year, disappointing this time), Black Russian, black cherry, and a red cherry of unknown provenance (originally from a volunteer plant that popped up where the previous allotment holder had toms, and impressed me with tenacity, yield, and very decent taste)

Comment

MelSW -Yes I did! It would be nice to get a few more people on board. The sunbaby would be great!
                Black cherry is already being saved. Black Russian doesn't always have many seeds. Though often with fresh seed you don't need many as the germination rate is high. If you could manage a couple of seeds each with the Black Russian as well that would be a bonus- but don't stress over it! I'll put you on the list

Comment

Sure, saving some extra Black Russian seeds should be fine too​
                  Last edited by MelanieSW; 03-09-2019, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Seedless green grape

VC, did you grow this?
                    I’ve got one of these going .... none ripe yet - and not many on the plant.
                    I’m with you Scarlet - unlikely to bother with this one again.
                    But it’s fun trying something different.
                    Just picked one that was turning yellow/orange and ate it! Not bad but like you two, there are better ones to grow next year.

Comment

Following my outdoor tomatoes blight post just wanted to show that all is not lost. Indoors going nicely and still surprisingly got a couple of plants outdoors.

Blush:
                      A couple growing indoors and one is still producing outdoors when it's very near neighbours were stricken by blight. Not sure if anyone else has seen any resistance on this one or if I just got lucky?

Name:	blush.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	2385231

Black Cherry:
                      As others have said a very good tomato which will now be on my grow list every year. The outdoor ones did get blight but indoors still cropping heavily.

Orange Banana:
                      Plant always looks half dead and I've had a lot of BEM (need to sort my watering out) but I've had a fair few fruit off this

Name:	banana.jpg
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	2385232

Red Buffalo Horn:
                      1st one just ripening.

Name:	buffalo.jpg
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2385233

Black Russian:
                      1st couple are now ripening nicely

Name:	russian.jpg
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2385234

Dancing with Smurfs
                      Still waiting for these to ripen, seem to have looked like this forever, both indoor and out. On a plus point this is another one that has not succumbed to blight despite being right next to others that did.

Name:	smurfes.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2385235

Kenilworth King George - been producing nicely for a while now.

Yellow Pear - Plenty of fruit but still green, same with Alisa Craig

Comment

That buffalo horn will taste delicious!

Comment

Are the dancing with smurfs still green on the base of the tomatoes or are any a bit orange looking,they go orangey colour on the base when they’re ready I think but if green they’re not ready.

Comment

Yes still green atm and not ripe.

Comment

Raspberry Oxheart
                              These were all from the same plant,there’s still some green tomatoes out there,good amount of tomatoes,tall plant with strong growth,tangy tomato taste. I would like to grow this again the tomatoes are huge,tasty & good for cooking,I cooked them all tonight with red onion,red pepper,pasta twirls & cheese sprinkled on top -

Name:	EF91B08F-5E55-43DA-84C8-7DE5D1E92D65.jpg
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2385249 Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE89B6F-75D4-49F4-8D55-D0304E88BC67.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2385247 Click image for larger version

Name:	CB8E9A9F-A0D3-4411-93FA-BFCF1D955C99.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	2385248
                              Last edited by Jungle Jane; 06-09-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

!They look lovely!! Did you pick some seeds out?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X